5700xe Does anyone know.............

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by T Wad, Feb 16, 2015.

1. CJndaTruck

CJndaTruck Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    The AC just quit working. I've got some downtime today so I'll look into it. Think it might be a fuse. Little blue light won't come on when you turn it on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Ha! The little blue light died on me at three weeks on my 4900. But the A/C still works. I replaced the bulb two or three times, and finally gave up

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  4. Resurgam

Resurgam Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2008
    Slc UT
    If the ac starts to die in the bunk i believe it's a cabin filter. They need to be replaced almost as much as the headlights.

CJndaTruck Thanks this.
  5. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Mine has two filters for the bunk unit.

6. CJndaTruck

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Yes, seems like it's just the light out. No biggie.

I'll keep that in mind. But I have an APU so I don't use the rear AC/heat. Thanks.

One thing I forgot to mention was the front bumper falling apart. Started 100 miles down the road. Whatever glue they use to hold the plastic to the metal has failed at the three points where the bumper has an angle. I also keep finding more bundles of wires flapping around inside. Not sure I'll ever get all of these stuck to the walls better so I don't have to hear all this rattling.

larry2903 Thanks this.
  7. CJndaTruck

Nov 21, 2014
    Knoxville, TN (area)
    Yep. I remember that from the APU install.

8. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Seems like Star needs to work on their quality control. I won't bother reposting the giant list of flaws that came with my 2013 4900, but it was disappointing.
    I love the truck, the interior, the layout of everything, but man, I think they were blindfolded when they built mine.
    I have had very good ones in the past though.

I recently saw a brand new 5700XE at my dealer. I asked what they were doing to it. They said rear end......it came from factory with no oil in one of the diffs, and the selling dealer didn't PDI it before it went on the road.

Hopefully they start paying attention soon.

A_C_Cooper Thanks this.
  9. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I have to second that with quality control issues I run a 2013 4900EX and a good friend of mine has the 2016 5700XE and we both have a love hate relationship with the trucks. His 5700 was just at McCoy in Portland to get leaks fixed. Both windshields leaked, upper window in cab leaked, sleeper window on back of sleeper leaked and both side doors on sleeper leaked.
    My side windows and windshield will ice over when temp drops below 15 degrees. I have driven with an ice scraper and a spray bottle of de-icer to be able to see my mirrors. It turns into an absolute mess when the temperature drops below -20 degrees. Most trips coming back from Alaska in the winter it starts raining inside when I hit Southern BC. I have given up on Western Star and warranty and will rip the cab apart this summer and properly insulate it and fix the leaks myself. Lately I have been dealing with wiring problems and corrosion in connectors.
    Joe's 5700 eats head light bulbs like they are going out of style.

10. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Mines not to that extreme Vikingswen, but it does fog the side winters in winter. And it has the extreme climate insulation and heater. I think it's just that the cab is so big and the HVAC system is not sized properly.

I find in the winter I either have to cook to death in the cab, or keep it cold. In-between it just fogs up.

And in the summer I have to run the AC full blast to keep from sweating.

Also keep an eye on all the steel oil and fuel lines underneath. They must use the cheapest stuff they can find because mine are all already severely rotten to the point they are starting to scare me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.