5700xe Does anyone know.............

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by T Wad, Feb 16, 2015.

1. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    The a/c has never been strong and from what I've seen, is still the same setup up front as my 2000. Heater cut off valves on the engine will make a world of difference if you don't already have them. My front heater will cook you in the sleeper on the coldest days. The older stars had vents built into the upper door panel that would heat the side windows, but I believe they have been eliminated in the newer trucks, which is probably contributing to the frost.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Yves kanevil

Yves kanevil Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2016
    Nighthawk
    Best quality of ws was when the factory was in BC. Quality has went way downhill since

vikingswen and fortycalglock Thank this.
  4. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    My 2013 4900SF.
    Satellite radio didn't work from the factory. Antenna wire wasn't long enough, plus it had the wrong end on it. No quality control there.
    Yes the HVAC system sucks. Found the air plenum for the vents was not attached to the heater core/fan assembly. So the extra heat was getting up into the fuse block assembly causing circuit breakers for the lighting to trip, but it only happened at night with the lights on. I guess they thought I could just drive in the dark.
    The wiper motor quit first time it rained. Two day job to get it changed as they are up under the dash with no access panel from the engine compartment like the older models had. Good thing for warranty.
    The servo motors quit for the vent actuators.
    Other than that it's been a solid truck, but yea the quality control should be better.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  5. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Yes, they cheaped out and eliminated those door vents for the side windows. That was a good idea when they had it.
    Uncleal13....my wipers didn't quit but within the first couple weeks while up in the bush the wiper linkages sawed through an air line deep inside the dash. Both my arms were cut up from the knuckles to my elbows trying to splice that so I could get the air built back up.
    Just changed my blue AC switch again for the 3rd time. Should be good for another two months, LOL.

6. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I should add, the issues are really too bad. Because I think they are one of the best looking trucks on the road. And I love the interior room, the ride quality, the quietness and the dash layout with the ability to have 20 gauges.
    Basically love everything about them except the build quality issues, LOL.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  7. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    Wait, the A/c controls and blue switch light up? Never seen it myself and I have a BC built truck.

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I'm surprised that they don't use an LED light in the ac switch. I have 57k on mine, so far my ac switch light still works.

9. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Doesn't seem like the quality issues are solely on the 5700's either. I bought a new 4900EX last summer. The only issue I've had with the truck is a very small water leak where the top cap is glued to the sides, right in that gutter. Some silicone caulk inside the gutter where the two meet took care of that.

I haven't had the side windows icing up in the winter, but to be fair I didn't do much this winter and the coldest I was in was 7 degrees. My 05 W9 in that temperature would fog and frost the side windows, my 07 W9 did not.

Yves kanevil and vikingswen Thank this.
  10. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Wish I could have got pics, but there have been a lot of new 5700XE's passing by me coming out of the local Flakeboard mill.

Chip haulers and Flat beds. Most from Quebec with custom paint and dressed right up.

I have to say.....they are a lot nicer in person than how they look in pics.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.