579 wiring question.

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by JadedGrace, Mar 4, 2016.

1. JadedGrace

JadedGrace Bobtail Member

Aug 17, 2014
    2013 579. There is a switch on the instrument panel labled "spare". It has a wiring harness to it, it has power. I want to use this switch to wire up some chicken lights. My question is: where does this line manifest itself under the hood? It has to come out somewhere, bit I can't locate it... Anyone?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    On 389s there's a couple dead end harnesses under the hood that's rolled up under the fuse box that connect to the switches on the dash. Look for one labeled "option power" and another one is labeled "sleeper/cab lights"
    I'd assume the 579 is wired the same
    image.jpeg

Oxbow Thanks this.
  4. JadedGrace

Aug 17, 2014
    Is this the fuse box that sits directly in front of the driver under the hood?

5. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    Yes look at the harnesses underneath that fuse box to see if there's any wires that arent connected to anything. There maybe a couple that are from the switch

6. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    image.jpeg If you have the aux switch, it powers a wire harness under the fuse box that has a sticker attached labeled cab/sleeper lights, this is what my chix lights are connected to.
    The switch with relay switch powers that wire I was holding in the first pic I sent, both harnesses are next to each other underneath the under hood fuse box on the drivers side.
    I haven't found where the rest of the spare switches lead to

7. JadedGrace

Aug 17, 2014
    This is the fusebox right in front of the driver.

Attached Files:

8. JadedGrace

Aug 17, 2014
    This mess of wires is about a foot below it, crammed under the steering column. Is his where I should be looking?

Attached Files:

9. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    Yes, in that mess is where the switch wires were located on mine, they were coiled up and zip tied.
    Another option for you if nobody else has proper 579 info is- check under your bunk inside the sleeper door on the drivers side, you may have a large terminal/junction block inside that has wires running to it. Sometimes this box is located under the truck on the frame somewhere. It will have wires connected to studs labeled- turn signal, brake lights, marker/clearance lights etc. You can add your chicken lights power wire to the marker light terminal stud and they will work with your truck light switch instead of the "spare switch". The terminal block looks like this-
    image.jpeg

10. Jasonb389

Jasonb389 Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2016
    How do you get the power turned on to the spare switches? I have 5 spares but none of them light up when switched on

11. Riprap

Riprap Light Load Member

May 31, 2014
    Saginaw, MI
    If they don't light up then you probably don't have harnesses connected to them. image.jpeg You could buy the harnesses or make your own, I don't know what each terminal does but they should be easy enough to figure out by testing the terminals continuity with a multimeter and moving the switch position

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.