5th wheel placement for hauling containers

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Gtrucking, Sep 13, 2021.

1. Gtrucking

Gtrucking Light Load Member

Nov 18, 2014
    High Point, NC
    Hello i bought a truck a couple weeks ago with a fixed 5th wheel my 2nd week hauling a heavy 40 foot container the container hit the edges of my frame while i was making a sharp turn so i moved the 5th wheel back as much as i could and got the frame repaired but 1 person suggested i need to move the 5th wheel even more further by drilling holes into the frame i posted pictures of how far it was before and how far back i moved it now any suggestions from container haulers of if its good or should i get holes drilled and get it moved back more? Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    I don't know what area you are located in, but I would say check with your local truck salvage yards and think about upgrading to a slider. A fixed fifth wheel kinda limits your ability to pull different trailers and scale the truck legally

4. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    The end of your frame sticks out farther than necessary looks like the very end is where it is closest to hitting.just cut it back and and mount the mud flaps farther forward
    The other thing is it looks like your fifth wheel may be set too low they come in 4 heights usually 7,8,9 and 10 inch heights to see what you have put a 3 foot Level on your fifth wheel plate and make it level then measure to the top of the frame if it is 7 or lower you can raise it without much expense, I think the highest you want a fifth wheel to the ground is 52 inches if you are less than that you can raise the fifth wheel without having to worry that the trailer will end up too tall.
    a sliding fifth wheel is great but in your case with the back of the frame in the way the only direction you can slide is back

feldsforever and Gtrucking Thank this.
  5. Gtrucking

Nov 18, 2014
    High Point, NC
    Alright thats alot of key information thank you very much

6. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    Looks to me like you need to move your fifth wheel back about a foot. Get your truck frame way farther away from the trailer frame or next time you turn a corner on uneven ground you'll be ripping that frame again.

Brettj3876 and feldsforever Thank this.
  7. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    About a foot back is right. That's up real far. I personally like it 6-8 inches back of center but most of my loads are light. About centered or a few inches back of center would be good for what your doing

Edit: doing containers you prob want that AT LEAST 8in back of center to avoid any issues. Getting some weight off the front it'll ride a little better too

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Gtrucking Thanks this.
  8. Pittstruck

Pittstruck Light Load Member

Apr 2, 2014
    I have a fixed 5th wheel also, on a 2013 freightliner pulling containers. My 5th wheel pivot point is set exactly between the drives and I’ve never had an issue with catching my frame with 40 or 20 footers. Also surprisingly my steer weights consistently hover around 12000 fully loaded with it set right there.

Gtrucking Thanks this.
  9. Gtrucking

Nov 18, 2014
    High Point, NC
    The best thing for me is probably to get a different 5th wheel then

10. roundhouse

roundhouse Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2018
    When I was pulling containers I had a mechanic shop cut down the top of the frame from behind the fifth wheel to the end .
    and weld a flange plate back on top of the frame .

was either that or get a different tractor .

some of the container chassis just hand down really low and hook the tractor frame .

also a
    Sliding fifth wheel is very handy for shifting weight from the drives to the steers

11. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    you don't need to get a new fifth wheel move the fifth wheel back to center if that is what will work most of the holes will line up you may need to drill 2 to 3 holes on each side using carbide tiped hole cutters easy to do with a hand drill and use the holes in fifth wheel flange as your pattern.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.