5th Wheel release requires manual assistance

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Derov, Feb 15, 2014.

1. Derov

Derov Light Load Member

Sep 18, 2011
    I've spent a fair amount of time doing my due diligence on this, but with little results so I'll just ask:

I recently seated a brand new (<1,000 miles) 2014 Freightliner Evolution and have had problems since day 1 with the 5th wheel. Specifically, the in-cab release does not work and the manual release has to be held out by a second party to uncouple. (i.e. the manual release doesn't remain uncoupled when the handle isn't being restrained by person or channel locks.) There is no visible damage or defect and everything is properly greased - it acts as if something isn't connected. Is there something that I can do to address this problem or am I going to have to sit in shop status for a week to get someone to look at it?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    you need to ajust fifth wheel, what model is the fifth wheel?

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yep, more info is needed. What model do you have? There are all kinds of different 5th wheels and they all lock differently. Like Pablo said, it probably just needs an adjustment. I would have it looked at asap! Better safe than sorry!!!

5. BigCam9670

BigCam9670 Medium Load Member

Jun 12, 2012
    Hudson, NY
    Could just be a broken spring...there are a few in there...one of them holds the "dog" to lock the jaws open. Do you have it flipped over?

6. mgrantes

mgrantes Light Load Member

Apr 26, 2013
    I had a similar problem with my 5th wheel, but was able to spot the problem very quickly. In my case, the 5th wheel wouldn't lock. It turned out to be a broken spring (they do rust and break over time) - the end where it hooks in a hole. I was able to bend a new hook using some pliers on the spring. When I got it home I bought a replacement for $5 - easy install too.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    This truck is brand new. Chances are it is just tight and needs an adjustment. He should be going back for warranty. This is a safety critical problem and no dealer should be telling him there is a week waiting time!!!

8. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    As heavy said, WARRANTY!
    Why get greasy and screw with it yourself, and risk breaking something in the meantime????????
    It needs looked at ASAP.

Martin

Heavyd Thanks this.
  9. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Did you set the parking brake before pulling the valve? It won't uncouple unless the brake is set....you should hear it charge up with air and release.... you might have to set the brakes, dolly down, release the tractor brake and back against the trailer, reset the tractor parking brake, and pull the fifth wheel release air valve....it, the fifth wheel release, should "pop" out.

10. 1XDriver

1XDriver Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2014
    CA
    If you already know this, I apologize. When you initially stop to drop, set the trailer brakes then "nudge" back a bit more. Idea being to insure no tension on the jaws at all. If that doesn't work, then yeah, something is out of adjustment. Hope this helps.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.