5th Wheel replacement Favorite

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by truckinfast, Dec 31, 2015.

1. AModelCat

AModelCat Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2015
    Canuckistan
    I think I get what you're saying. On our tri-axle and quad axle logging and dump trailers we use a sealed rotec bearing between the dolly and trailer frame. Only thing is they're a permanent connection as it's bolted together.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ozdriver

Ozdriver Heavy Load Member

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    The blue one in the pic is almost identical to mine image.jpeg

truckdad, Ruthless and truckinfast Thank this.
  4. Prom Night Dumpster Baby

Prom Night Dumpster Baby Medium Load Member

Jan 12, 2012
    Bug Tussle, TN
    Always been a Holland fan. The Jost landing gear on my trailer was too tight at the bottom and needed me to cut it open and weld it back up to where the legs would slide freely. Not giving Jost a chance on a fifth wheel.

5. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Before you consider another Fontaine, consider this recall of their Chinese made product:

http://www.overdriveonline.com/font...between-2009-and-2013-after-fatal-ohio-crash/

After having one of the above decks give me nothing but grief I replaced it with a Jost, the same model that is standard equipment on all Paccar products. They make a deck that fits right on the Fontaine slide.
    I have no opinion on a Holland, never owned one.

truckinfast and Ozdriver Thank this.
  6. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    I've owned Holland and Jost, I think the Jost is a better design and you can change the jaws from the top without having to take the whole thing apart.

I'd be very wary of buying anything made in China where your life depends on it.

Slowpoke KW and truckinfast Thank this.
  7. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Ozdriver, No I have never seen a setup like that here in the States.
    We have the turn tables setup on steerable dollys, but no 5th wheel setups like that, or I have never seen them. Looks like a slick setup. How does that work if you're off a little bit when trying to hook up? Will it rotate to the kingpin and still lock in, or do you need to be dead on the money when hooking up?

Ozdriver Thanks this.
  8. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    Like I said they're quite popular over here especially the low profile single row bearing. Mine's the heavy duty double row like in the pic.
    They wouldn't be any good for a company with lots of drivers and/or inexperienced drivers because you can stuff up easily.
    If you're on level ground, drop the airbags, back up until you're almost there, raise airbags, then hook up. Or if you're confident, just back right under.
    If you're on unlevel ground, you pin the fifth wheel with the yellow pin like you can just see in the pic, to stop it turning.
    The trailers all have to have a block bolted up behind the kingpin which locates in the slot in the fifth wheel, so it only rotates on the bearing not the trailer.
    On my trailers you can unbolt the block in case someone has a fixed fifth wheel.
    Where you get problems is if you forget to take the pin out and it rips the block out of the trailer soon as you turn a corner. Or you are careless hooking up, the fifth wheel rotates, and you bend the unlocking pull bar.
    Like I said, not for everyone but you don't get wear anywhere and they are clean of grease on the fifth wheel plate.

truckinfast and passingthru69 Thank this.
  9. haycarter

haycarter Road Train Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Australia
    I'm with you Ozdriver,
    Every truck I've had for the last 26yrs has had a Ballrace Turntable.
    I've settled on the Low profile Single row Jost, As My preferred option.
    A little trick We do is; on the locking Pin, cut 1/2 way through It with an Angle grinder in line with the exposed bit between the Top & Bottom Plate.. So if you forget to take the locking pin Out it just shears off & lets thing operate the way they should without any Damage...

truckinfast and Ozdriver Thank this.
  10. Ozdriver

Oct 16, 2015
    Australia
    I don't want anything to shear off, so what I do is stick a clothes peg on the steering wheel with "pin" written on it every time I do a hook up. Also I make sure the block bolts are cheap Chinese low grade so they shear off if I forget the clothes peg trick, only happened once.

truckinfast Thanks this.
  11. 1johnb

1johnb Medium Load Member

Jun 13, 2012
    New Paris Ohio
    I have always been a fan of the double jaw Holland probably the most bullet proof fifth wheel. I would scrap the Fontaine they always were more undesirable for me. The Jost would be the route I would take. I have installed several and they are a good plate, just not quite as good as the Holland

truckinfast Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.