5th wheel slider length?

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by L3v1s, Feb 25, 2021.

1. L3v1s

L3v1s Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    I'm specing my first truck and I'm wondering what slider length to go with. The company truck I've been driving for the last few years has a fixed 5th wheel and it works fine for the job I do now. I'm pulling tridem mechanical rgn and I'm quite used to loading it right weight wise, but I want to spec a truck that would have the capacity to pull a single jeep too. How much would I need to slide the 5th wheel forward (from center of the drive axles) in order to lift the jeep off the ground and onto the frame for when it's not needed? How much would I need to slide it back (from the center of the deives) to NOT take the mud flaps off turning with a jeep on the ground?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. beastr123

beastr123 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2014
    Moose Jaw SK CAN
    If it was me(and it was in 1996) i would go with no less than 42" of slider and set it for 4 to 6" behind drive center at the most rearward slide. With a 14K steer axle or less that should be enough. If you are considering a 16 to 20K front end or a lift axle that changes all, then a 60 or 72" slide will come in handy. As far as your mudflaps go with a single axle jeep if you don't use Betts style hangers expect to mount spring loaded hangers and figure on fixing/ replacing them regularly.

L3v1s Thanks this.
  4. L3v1s

L3v1s Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2014
    I'm going with a 14.6 steer axle on a 244 wheelbase. 18-20k steer or a pusher is out of the picture entirely and I'm not generally specing the truck to handle more than 135k gross. I figured 36" slider starting 8" behind center should do, but I'm not quite sure whether that would allow me to slide a jeep on top of the ramp when I don't need it and for maneuvering?

As far as the mud flaps goes I might cover both axles with single poly fenders and bold them right to the rear drive axle fender. Then it would require a specific frame ramps that would raise the neck right from the start of the climb, but I have something in mind already.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.