60+ CPM THE NEW STANDARD?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by dogtrucker, Jul 19, 2019.

1. dogtrucker

dogtrucker Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Compensation continues to improve in our profession; I see many regional and even OTR companies offering 60cpm or more. It might be helpful if we start listing companies that not only have the high CPM but the miles to go with it and good benefits to boot.

I am considering doing a true OTR job for the next 2 or 3 years because it is the quickest way to get high pay while having a more or less easy, scenic, low stress experience. 60cpm x 3000 miles = $1800/week base wage. Add in the bonuses and accessorials and it is not IMO an unreasonable goal to make that number an average. Potentially, over $93k/ year for simple, meat-and-potatos OTR. Some of these big carriers you might think would not get you the miles but big carriers have a lot of different routes and accounts and likely there is a fast-lane or two available if we just ask for it.

Here are a few:
    Forward Freight Systems - based in Chicagoland 70CPM regional flat beds

Van Eerden - based in Byron Center, Mi
    One of their gigs is a big loop taking office furniture to Ca and bringing produce back - at least 1700 miles each way. they don't quite offer 60 (57 or 58 to start) but they got great benefits including cheap medical, 401k match, generous safety and other bonuses and $7500 sign on.

Roehl - yeah, I know, a mega-carrier but they advertise 61+ CPM (probably including safety bonus), they have a $10,000 sign on bonus, profit sharing and if you ever get feeling burnt out, you can take 7 days at a time in home time - you can even do 7 out and 7 off.
    They advertise average mileage of 2300 to 2600 per week but surely, a company that size will have some truly long haul accounts.

Experior Transport - Bases in Illinois, New Jersey, California and (I believe) Michigan. CPM is only about 55 but they have $50-$100 stop pay for every stop including pick up. If you are willing to run 70% North East you will make $100k at Experior. They don't say much on the website but I had a long talk with the General Manager. Benefits however are thin.

I'd like to focus here on regular, no endorsement, van, reefer and maybe flat bed companies - the kind of job anyone can get with a couple years experience.

I also see very good offers for teams now-a-days. Experienced teams are being offered upward of $180k/year. Bar Nun is offering 71-73 CPM for OTR and 82 CPM ! for regional.

I think it is a great time to look for greener grass if your company has not kept up with current wage standards.

Swanson6075, alds, HD_Renegade and 5 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Tb0n3

Tb0n3 Road Train Member

Oct 5, 2012
    Earth
    Most high rates are 1099, especially Chicagoland.

4. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    None of those I listed are 1099

HD_Renegade and Intothesunset Thank this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Watch out for the hidden "Ifs and Buts". .60 cpm loaded, "but" .45 cpm empty... first 2 hours demurrage not paid... etc, etc et tal.
    Not everything advertised pans out to be true come time for the interview.
    I am seeing this right now as I'm looking for a job puling tankers

bzinger, PE_T, x1Heavy and 6 others Thank this.
  6. WildTiger1990

WildTiger1990 Heavy Load Member

Apr 21, 2015
    Don't forget that that 60CMP it not necessary mean 3000+ miles, and you have 0 clue how thier layover , detention, medical payments etc work.

59EX, PE_T, Intothesunset and 3 others Thank this.
  7. Veteran driver

Veteran driver Medium Load Member

Aug 24, 2010
    De Moines. IA

Or 22 cents of it is actually per diem so what you’re really getting is .38 cpm

PE_T, Intothesunset, DTP and 2 others Thank this.
  8. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    Per diem does not mean you are not paid that amount. It just means you are not taxed on it. Companies that offer per diem usually mention it on their website and if they do offer it is voluntary - in every case I am aware of.
    If it is only an option, there is no reason to worry about it.

9. dogtrucker

Sep 10, 2012
    my truck
    If you are busy, then layover and detention are of little consequence.
    As I mentioned in the OP I am looking at companies that have the mileage to go with it. I also wrote in the OP the average mileage for Roehl, the high mileage on a particular Van Eerden gig and the extraordinary stop pay of Experior. I know less about Forward Freight.

If you have any facts to contribute please do - its the reason I started the thread. Its also helpful to read carefully.

10. Banacle Bill

Banacle Bill Bobtail Member

Apr 5, 2010
    St. Louis Mo
    Under the new tax rules a company driver can no longer deduct per diem to reduce their tax burden so (aside from the possible reduction of social security benefits due to the appearance of a lower earned income) the bigger the "split" of your cpm a company pays as per deim, the better. Bearing in mind that companies are limited to a maximum amount they can "expense" in this way, I think it works out to somewhere in the .10 to .12 cpm range but I'm not sure. For drivers this change has been a good thing because prior to this change there were several carriers that were paying way to large a percentage of their drivers compensation as per diem so as to reduce the company's tax burden, mostly in FICA match. Then those drivers that PROPERLY filed their taxes, and by properly I mean including the per diem form, often found they had greatly underpaid their taxes and had to send the government a check and those that didn't properly file well, if they were ever audited it was really ugly.
    Now that the per diem deduction has been disallowed for drivers subject to DOT regs what the carriers are paying (even though many still refer to it as "per diem") is actually considered a reimbursement for uncompensated expenses and doesn't require filing any seperate forms justifying the untaxed incime.

11. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    This ^^^^^

Plus you based your numbers on doing 3,000 miles a week...yet life is what happens while we are busy making other plans.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.