6NZ CAT ???

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by MichaelP, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Gasienica

Gasienica Heavy Load Member

Sep 7, 2011
    I was told "You have the stronger E model block in your truck and it's capable of handling 1000 Hp without any problems" but I dunno where it's weakness is. That was some knowledge passed down to me from a very knowledgeable person but I forgot to ask where the 2ws weekness is.

He might chime in later.

Thanks Kurt for sharing you valuable knoledge. The more I read the more I learn. I'll even read it over a few times and go back to it to make sure I remembered it right.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. k whopper

k whopper Light Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    milledgeville ga
    thanks for the imput

4. puffrooster

puffrooster Bobtail Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Central Alberta
    LOL... "union guy..."

5. puffrooster

Aug 2, 2014
    Central Alberta
    I found a 2002 Peterbilt with a 6NZ CAT engine, 3:55 gears, 18 double over trans,new compressor & governor, all new silicon hoses, new clutch hub, new belts, 2nd Owner...

S/He is asking for offers and I have no idea what a good offer would be? I think he used the truck to pull an automobile carriage (?) I need it to pull maxed out super B trains, daily; do I want 3:55 gears?

S/he also adds to the list, "Pro heat, Block heater, pan heater, Espar bunk heater, Wet kit, pickup ramps, (car carrier front axle- 13,600 lbs), low air leaf, 63 inch bunk, Fridge, front tires Michelin XZA3 95%, Rear tires yokohama 527 80%.

I'm a well seasoned (15 year) driver but I'm not very mechanically inclined; I finally found my final posting; best pay, best boss, best work I ever had; clean & steady! But the rumor is that he is letting go the company trucks in favor for O/O's (it's getting too busy); so I need a good truck without the emissions piping clogging up the plumbing; and DEF freezes up quickly in north west Canada.

Ready assembled (completed) glider kits are also inadmissible in Canada and nobody makes those here as far as I know...

Is this a good buy!?

[​IMG]

6. sailboatjim

sailboatjim Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass

Better How?

More Power?

Last Longer?

Qualify Better?

7. Cfifteen

Cfifteen Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Pulling loaded super B's in western canada and the Yukon, your best to go with 3:91 ratio for our hills with taller rubber. There's also Dave's diesel just west of Edmonton, in Acheson across from the Petro pass. He's pretty good. Won't get you into a lot of ####e that you don't need.

Cheers,

puffrooster Thanks this.
  8. sailboatjim

sailboatjim Light Load Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Boston, Mass

Thats an old wives tall.

The story as I used to hear it back in the 90's was that they had bad Harmonic Balancers that did cause some crank breakage.

1LW is in the same boat except there were probably more breakage in them from what I've heard.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. puffrooster

Aug 2, 2014
    Central Alberta
    I rarely leave Alberta, and if I do, I go east. The only hills I need to worry about are the ones on 43 towards Whitecourt and Grande Prairie; so a 3:55 ratio will do (!?)

What do I need at Dave's Diesel?

10. Cfifteen

Cfifteen Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    If you're going to stick with that ratio, becareful with your lift-off's. What size rubber does it have!?

11. puffrooster

Aug 2, 2014
    Central Alberta
    I have no idea what size rubber it has!? Right now I'm just trying to figure out it's true value. The seller is the second owner; he claims he was offered 85K for it (which I highly doubt). I suspect that this is just what he wants for it. I have to run the ad by some experienced O/O's first, see what it's really worth, and then if the seller is motivated to sell at a realistic price, I will see if it can do what I need it to do.

Why does the rubber size matter and what do you mean about being careful with my "lift-offs?"

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.