6x2 issues with RGN?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by macmanboomer, Jul 12, 2018.

1. macmanboomer

macmanboomer Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2014
    TN
    Lots of loads are big & tall without being excessively heavy. Tractors, loaders, etc.

spyder7723 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Bean Jr.

Bean Jr. Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2014
    It's also like using super singles. Many are going back to duals because the money saved is not worth the money lost for breakdown.

Despite Freightliner touting the 6x2 format, the guys driving them complained they couldn't get under trailers in the snow.

Oxbow, snowman_w900 and macmanboomer Thank this.
  4. macmanboomer

macmanboomer Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2014
    TN
    Thank you. That’s the type of feedback I was looking for. Think I’m going to scrap the idea.

REO6205 and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. Misesian

Misesian Road Train Member

May 21, 2014
    Nothwest Arkansas
    I’m running a 6X2. If you are running on pavement or firm off road conditions, there won’t be an issue. Mine is the tag setup where the rear is dead. You can still lock the front axle and engage off road which dumps air in the rear axle to help hook to the trailer. Loaded in ice and snow, I didn’t notice a difference. Being empty in ice and snow sucks.
    The setup I wanted wasn’t available with the International. The ideal 6x2 is the liftable pusher Setup where the front axle is dead and the rear is powered. When empty or lightly loaded the front is off the ground and when you lose traction it will do the same. It’s snow and ice performance is better than a 6X4 due to its ability to load down the one powered axle. Mack, Volvo, Freightliner have this system available.

macmanboomer, not4hire and okiedokie Thank this.
  6. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    Worried about getting under trailer? Get a hydraulic neck.

RGN’s and good mileage don’t go together, plus any money you save on fuel will go for tow trucks to get you unstuck.

Don’t haul cheap and don’t worry about fuel mileage.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.

Good plan. One of our competitors tried a 6/2 for his lighter weight RGN work. He ran it about 6 months and changed over to a regular setup with lockers.

8. Jasonar15

Jasonar15 Medium Load Member

Aug 6, 2017
    Wear out tires on the drive axle 2 to 1

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  9. DrDieselUSA

DrDieselUSA Bobtail Member

May 9, 2018
    I think you should scrap that idea and go with a regular 6x4 tractor. I have actually seen guys with RGN's in South West Florida get stuck on dry pavement turning onto a side road where the grade was uneven and they forgot to use the power divider and keep the rpms up.

10. Faizenberg

Faizenberg Bobtail Member

May 28, 2016
    Los Angeles,CA
    I started to pull an RGN and i do not recomend you this setup.You will understand when you will try to hook to it with a 60klbs load on it on gravel when it rains.

Nothereoften Thanks this.
  11. Nothereoften

Nothereoften Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2018
    Never used it, probably never would.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.