7yr dui with class C.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by NorCalLivn, Dec 19, 2017.

1. NorCalLivn

NorCalLivn Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Hello to all! I'm new in the industry I'm just fixing to get my CDL on the 5th of January. I have two brothers in the trucking industry they own their own business and they want me to drive for them but my concern and their concern is my past. I figured I post here since most owner operators have a lot of experience a lot of knowledge and a lot of input. With that being said I'll go into a little detail about myself, I'm 35 years old I live in Northern California and I've made a lot of mistakes within my short life span of 35 years. I got quite a bit of DUIs but a lot of them are over 10 years. My most recent one was in 2010, I've been sent to prison for it nobody was hurt thank God I've done my time I paid my dues never thought about going into the industry until my brother's got into it, they've been driving for over 10 years but my biggest question that I would like to know is even though I got a 7 year old DUI that technically an insurance company can only judge me by that 1 DUI from my understanding it is against the law for them to go back anything past 10 years so technically they can judge me on one DUI which would give me two points on my record so my question is would I be insurable? I tried purging my record with DMV but Mandatory Actions from DMV told me I can't Purge my older DUIs because they are considered 1 so I got to wait for my last one from 2010 to reach 13 years so I can Purge all of them any help any information any type of criticism I'm all ears I don't get offended easy I got thick skin I've been through a lot so it's okay to say whatever you guys feel like saying as long as it's in the forward Direction and helping me out I highly appreciate it. Thank you in advance and be safe God bless you guys.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Read the questions on the applications carefully.
    HAVE you 'EVER' been convicted/cited
    Have you been convicted/cited
    the last 10yrs
    In the last 7
    In the last 5
    In the last 3
    See what I mean?
    Different company applications ask in different ways.
    And then just be honest. Then during the usual follow up phone conversation don't volunteer ANYTHING.
    Then it's up to the insurance company or the insurance dept. if they're self-insured.

NikkiLS and NorCalLivn Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Insurance companies and trucking companies can go back as far as they want. Some companies aren't concerned about older DUI's and some want to know about all of them and will find out.
    There's questions such as, "Have you EVER had a DUI during your entire life?"
    Many trucking companies hire felons, ex-cons, DUI offenders, so finding a job won't be a problem.

NikkiLS, austinmike and NorCalLivn Thank this.
  5. NorCalLivn

Dec 19, 2017
    Thanks for the reply. Great info! I'l be sure to do that. But don't plan on applying with a Corp.
    Want to haul for my brother's so their concern is if their insurance will insure me, or haul for a family friend.

driverdriver Thanks this.
  6. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    In addition to that I'll add this.
    If your not completely clean and dry stay away we don't need you out here ,neither does the general motoring public.
    You obviously have( had) a serious problem with alcohol if your still drinking even a little don't bother with coming out her this can be a really stressful job at times don't need you out here taking the edge off with a bottle.
    This isn't the place to be taking the edge off with anything.
    By the way life is just fine straight, matter of fact even better. I've been clean 30yrs

Last edited: Dec 19, 2017
    Mudguppy and NorCalLivn Thank this.
  7. NorCalLivn

Dec 19, 2017
    Lol, no worries trust me. Haven't drank since my last dui (7yrs ago) and don' have a thought of going back to it. I'e lost more than I wanted in life. Stress I'm used to, I currently drive my civic to west TX to work in the oil fields, so I understand stress. I now think of the consequences as ive gained way to much to just throw away for stupidity and ignorance. But thanks for your input.

8. fortycalglock

fortycalglock Road Train Member

Jun 25, 2011
    Tourist Town, FL
    You’re going to be tough to insure. Your brothers insurance company will be the deciding factor. Getting a no experience driver insured is very expensive with a clean record. The mega companies are self insured so they make their own rules. Your brother’s insurance could easily go from 5,000 per truck to 25,000 per truck

9. NorCalLivn

Dec 19, 2017
    Goodness! I guess all hopes are that my past don' haunt me... I do appreciate your guys' knowledge... Thank you!

driverdriver Thanks this.
  10. austinmike

austinmike Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2011
    Missouri
    Best of luck, 7 year old dwi shouldnt be a problem

NikkiLS, driverdriver and NorCalLivn Thank this.
  11. nightgunner

nightgunner Road Train Member

Jul 23, 2013
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Be 100% honest in the application process. I have seen a lot of applications approved (even approved a couple myself) that ordinarily would not have. That was simply because the applicant was honest and didn't try to hide anything.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.