8-2 split explained in an easy to understand format

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gravdigr, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Which reg states you don't have to log things less than 5 minutes in duration?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Aren't you only required to log change of duty statuses 15 minutes and over but only have to flag them when under 15 min?

Of course assuming we are talking paper logs..

4. truckerdo

truckerdo Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I'm not one for knowing all the regulations but what i do know is that if you change status on elog and change it again within5 minutes it will put all that time to the 2nd status change. Also with paper logs anything less then 7 minutes how could you legally log that? Same thing with elog..I am not real sure..I guess the guy could basically take a 14-16 hr break if he had to move 4-6 hrs into his break. I guess legally you would probably have to log it in the middle of your break. Glad I've never had to do that before, don't know what I would have done. ;)

5. truckerdo

truckerdo Light Load Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Omaha, NE
    I think anything over 7 mins has to be logged for 15 mins on paper logs..

6. Fuffster

Fuffster Light Load Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Hesperia,Ca
    Boy things have really changed over the yrs. What ever happened to driving 10 hrs and calling it a day. Eat, take a shower, laundry or whatever you need to do. Go into the sleeper at 9pm. Get up a 5am and do it all over again.

starmac Thanks this.
  7. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Question 1: How should a change of duty status for a short period of time be shown on the driver’s record of duty status?
    Guidance: Short periods of time (less than 15 minutes) may be identified by drawing a line from the appropriate on-duty (not driving) or driving line to the remarks section and entering the amount of time, such as “6 minutes,” and the geographic location of the duty status change

I'd be under the impression that if you didn't indicate work you'd have an issue. If you did drop a flag and indicate a few minutes of work you'd not meet the requirements for your uninterrupted break.

8. Fuffster

Mar 30, 2014
    Hesperia,Ca
    ok, I need a little help here. Things really have changed over the last 10yrs. Im just getting ready to get back in the big seat. In 2004 I could get up, have some coffee, do a 15 min pre trip. Get on down the road. 5 hrs later a take a break for about 45min. Get back on down the road for another 5hrs. And that was my day. Between my off duty time and my sleeper time it was plenty of time between driving. Always started my at 0500 and usually finished around 5pm. Can that still be done or have the rules changed that much. I was rare for me to run out of hours at the end of the week, if I planned my trips right.

9. Meltom

Meltom Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Yep, looks solid. be sure you log at least 30 consecutive minutes of that 45 as off duty and life will be good.

Fuffster Thanks this.
  10. Fuffster

Mar 30, 2014
    Hesperia,Ca
    I do like how they have added some hrs for on duty not driving time. It will help with unloading etc.

11. PackRatTDI

PackRatTDI Licensed to Ill

Jul 15, 2006
    El Chuco, Tejas
    Just log your hooking up after your break is over. Problem solved.

starmac and Fuffster Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.