8-2 split explained in an easy to understand format

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by gravdigr, Sep 8, 2011.

1. hannafarms

hannafarms Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Minnesota

Paper logs! Heck why ya even splitting other then to maybe do some more fudging lol. I miss paper logs it was all so easy just work until your about dead take a 10hr break and run another 24+ lol

LandslideRich Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jodyj54

jodyj54 Light Load Member

Mar 15, 2018

4. jodyj54

Mar 15, 2018
    That type of rule existed many years ago, back before when we had 10 hours of continuous driving and 16 hours driving in a 24 hour period, and 8 hours total of required time off/sleeper birth which could be split. Its not a new idea at all.

The whole HOS as I see it is slowly returning to something like we had back in the 70's , 80's and up to the 14 hour rule. If you look at the newer changes overall, you can see they are benefitting the shippers/receivers who can now keep you tied-up knowing you have extended time to get off their property and extending your work day. Furthermore, the feds are realizing that a lot of freight is not being picked up or delivered on time due to their rules and many incompetent, lazy, unconcerned, improperly facilitated, uneducated, non industry-understanding shippers/receivers.

It is an old old story of how HOS protect the public-which gets sickening to hear every day-especially from the CEO jerks like CR EVERY NEW GUY LASTS ABOUT NINE DAYS, and the likes of every major company carrier; who really only care about cutting office personnel via electronics and lowering their inurance rates via being overly authoritative (and allowing the feds to be so) concerning drivers. We all know that a good portion of the public drives up and down the highways 'high' on weed and all kinds of other drugs, drive like idots, practically all of them speed everywhere they go, hardly ever use signals, don't need any kind of drug test, and can drive from Calif to NJ non-stop in their cars-but thats ok, as long as we control trucks to the point where they can hardly go past go anymore without fear of some kind of violation. If the feds are so concerned about road safety, why don't they, along wiith Mothers Against Drunk Drivers, and every other safety-crying baby out there push mandate for every grandma, teenager, and everyone that has a license be required to take a drug test, and randon tests at that, and watch a required 30 minute video of how to drive around trucks and use turn signals? No-never, because if all the public had to pass drug tests about half the nation would need to park their cars. I wonder if any congress men/women ever read this site?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
    Oxbow Thanks this.
  5. jodyj54

Mar 15, 2018

As mentioned in my other post-this is not a new idea. That kind of rule was in effect back in the cabover days-many moons ago; so not a new idea at all.

6. Aking77

Aking77 Bobtail Member

Jun 29, 2018
    OK, I need some help here. Say I came on duty, drove 6 hours, made a delivery of an hour on duty, then took an 8 hour break. Drove 2 more hours to my next destination, and then went back to the sleeper, but wouldn't be going back on duty for about 6 hours. Would my next 14 start after 2 hours in the sleeper, or when I came back on duty?

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    After you have taken your second sleeper break, your new 14 hours would start at the end of your first sleeper break... In the scenario that you give if your second sleeper break was 6 hours you would have 6 hours remaining on your 14 (2 hrs driving + 6 hrs sleeper = 8 hrs used) and 9 hours remaining on your 11... Meaning you could drive for 6 hours and then your 14 hr clock would expire and you would need to take a 10 hr break.

8. poppapump1332

poppapump1332 Road Train Member

Jan 2, 2010
    birdsboro,pa
    easy,I use to run from paulsboro to kingston ny went and got loaded went off duty there for two hours drove 4 then hit sleeper for 8 got back 7 driving which gave me enough to get back to the yard and go home two hours earlier then taking a 10 hour break at customer.

9. Sergio Alfaro

Sergio Alfaro Bobtail Member

Jul 1, 2018

10. Sergio Alfaro

Jul 1, 2018
    I drove 5 straight hours then stop for my half hour then drove for an hour and been parked for 7 hours do I gain any time after 8 hours being parked?

11. Sergio Alfaro

Jul 1, 2018
    So does it make a difference being off duty and sleeper?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.