8/2 split question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Driver91, Jul 17, 2016.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Put in a different form... you drove 7 hours and now you want to nap for 2 hours this afternoon before you put in your last 5 for the day's total of 11 hours or finish your last 7 hours work lumping to get the 14.

I don't have a problem with the two hours nap. Now... the problem is if I remember right, your two hours leaves 6 hours sleeper time to get the full 8. Don't do that. Just sleep your full 8 hours or whatever it is today for your full night in the sleeper for a new day. Make it a literal new day rather than trying to ride on the previous day's 2 hour sleeper nap. There is not enough time in 2 hours to make it any value.

Here is why.

Two hours is half of your sleep cycle from light sleep to deep rest REM and return requires 4 hours. If you are going to rest make it a 4 or 5 hour period of time in that berth before finishing your day. That time will come in handy part of the following day when you are called up to load somewhere.

Me? I just push through and destroy the 10 hours (My day...) or your 11 hours and push on off logs (Paper logs) as far as I can each evening as a bonus gain against the dispatch destination schedule problem before stopping so that if something comes up the next morning and I get a late start, the loss in time will be papered over and no one will be yelling. YER LATE!

Today's Elogs make me unable to get away with such little things as a previous day's bonus 200 miles overtime put in in the never ending battle against the hated dispatcher and his freaking appointments of which I must now meet.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MysticHZ

MysticHZ Road Train Member

May 28, 2010
    What are you talking about?

4. dngrous_dime

dngrous_dime Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Running illegally.

5. Toomanybikes

Toomanybikes Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Yup.

Yup

You only used 3 hours driving since your last break so 8 hours driving and 11 on the shot clock. Really though, trick question because you really have 11/14 for planning purposes you just have to pick up a 2 before the end of 8 hours driving or 11 on the shot clock.

Definitely bi. Not me, the log split. It always goes both ways.

6. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    He has the old HOS with an 8 hr break confused with the new HOS

7. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Slightly yes.

Im off the old 10 drive sleep 8 I think the new one are running 11 drive, off 14 and sleep 10.

I make every effort to stay straight when talking about split times. By showing that my hours thinking and experience is obselete and it has to be tempered with today;'s current log hours.

I never really thought the new hours of service extending 10 hours to 11 and killing a workday at 14 flat did anyone any favors anyhow.

8. KMac

KMac Road Train Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Waxahachie, TX
    New hours are 11 driving, within a 14 hour window, 10 break, and 30 minute break before the 8th Hr of driving. The only split you can do now is the 8/2 and the 8 has to be in the Sleeper.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  9. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Close. You can't drive beyond 8hrs of on-duty OR driving, without the 30 minute break. Example. You wake up and start your day by getting fuel, 15 minutes. Pretrip, another 15 minutes. You can then only drive 7.5 hours without a 30min break.

KMac Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Not even say a 5 drive, 5 sleeper and then 6 more drive followed by 3 or 4 more in sleeper? Repeat until run out the 70 hours? We used to try 5/5 back in the day.

11. dngrous_dime

Jan 28, 2014
    Lansing area, MI
    Minimum 8hrs sleeper berth to stop the 14hr clock. Anything less is pointless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.