8+ MPG Truck

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by harmin5288, Mar 4, 2013.

1. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.
    We take our fuel mileage off our IFTA numbers at the end of the quarter, I can group them all together or just figure one truck at a time. But what it does give me is REAL world, REAL load, REAL weather, REAL topography numbers.

We just take all fuel purchased divided into miles run and that is our number, the "fleet" if you will is at 7.26 that does include idle time, which is very little as all trucks are APU'ed.

My personal truck was at 8.5 last quarter (winter fuel) but remember, we are VERY light, I am hoping to make some adjustments and try and get our fleet numbers at least to 8mpg. We'll see?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jbourque

jbourque Heavy Load Member

Oct 25, 2012
    south english iowa
    now we are getting to the nitty gritty of the whole fuel mileage thing. lite loads, slow speeds, tag axles, bob tail and eco roll what ever that is. some new driver pulling 45,000 getting 5.5 mpg over the mountains thinks he is doing something wrong. a blanket statement of my truck get 8 mpg is not a very accurate statement. i had a V-12 detroit in the 60s and it got 2.2 average mpg, not to long ago some young driver said he was driving a V-12 and getting 6.7 mpg i almost fell out of the truck laughing.

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  4. sdaniel

sdaniel Road Train Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    The freightliner revaluation they referred to early in this thread ran across the country Seattle wa to Gastonia nc, with 44000 getting 9.3

5. sdaniel

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Cowrie on here is a good example , in the summer he is getting 8 nd never light. Look him up on here , very good threads.

6. EZX1100

EZX1100 Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2012
    i missed the previous reference

7. sdaniel

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    It's in post 7 , and I got the name wrong. Sorry !

8. tomkatrose

tomkatrose Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    2007 Volvo 780's with D12's, 10 speed autoshift, 3.55s, 16K in unskirted dry van with company drivers, 5.5mpg to 6.1mpg. Owner in the seat hauling the same load, 7.2 to 7.6 mpg. Best mod you can make for fuel efficiency is the right foot. Did see 9.4mpg from a company driver once, Denver to L.A. but that was after totaling a trailer and bob tailing it back so I guess that doesn't count.

9. jack_hammer

jack_hammer Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2011
    Minnesota
    when using cruise control, eco-roll throws the truck into neutral on downgrades which brings it down to idle rpm while you coast. you can set the speed when it kicks back into gear and applies engine brake, or if it doesnt reach that set speed it will automatically kick back in at about 2mph above the set cruise speed while its coasting down.

The new cascadias took a page from volvos book and now have their version of the same system

10. sdaniel

Sep 7, 2011
    Pelham N.C.
    Was surprised that both the I shift , and the DT12 are single countershaft transmissions. Can understand less drag, but time will tell how they hold up. The I shift looks like it holding up well. We are so used to twin countershaft , or even the Mack triple countershaft transmissions.

11. JNJax

JNJax Bobtail Member

Jan 30, 2008
    Jacksonville,FL
    So many variables...

I have a 07 volvo 670 d12 engine 10spd ... with light loads on flat ground at 64mph I get 8.2mpg... pulling a dry van with side skirts.

Change speed.. road conditions..strong cross winds..load weight...and on and on and it will change..why these threads are useless.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.