80' FA haulers

Discussion in 'Car Hauler and Auto Carrier Trucking Forum' started by longcat, Jun 23, 2018.

1. longcat

longcat Bobtail Member

Feb 16, 2012
    VT
    It's been a year since anyone mentioned 80' rigs. Has nobody got in one, or are people just shy?

I see Cottrell is offering 3 setups: a quick loader, a truck hauler and a C10 with 4 upper decks. None of them look great to me, but my soon to be new boss is talking about getting something long.

I loved the old C10. I could load quick and be very versatile, better decks and door openings than the C11. Quick loaders never appealed to me, like the 7509 I used to run. Then they made the 7510: like a high-rail with no rails! I was jealous of that setup.

I am leary of a longer combination mainly due to concerns about weight. Believe it or not, I was cited for 2000# over on the trailer in Connecticut on a straight load of only 9 Kia sedans (nonsliding 5th wheel, factory rig; Diversified). A tri-axle trailer probably makes sense with the increasing weights of the cars we move.

My questions, for anyone who knows, are:
    - Can the truck hauler carry 9 - 10 cars when not hauling pickups?
    - Is one of the 3 axles a tag/ pusher? Toll roads, tire life, and reverse steering/ manueverabilty.
    - On the C10fa, obviously you're not putting 4 cars across the top of the trailer, so at least one car is split-decked? I can see the advantage with pickup trucks over the C11 that had 3 decks where front and rear vehicles would share the middle deck, so now you wouldn't be twisting things as much. It seems overcomplicated in the new version.
    - Is it legal to simply slide the kingpin all the way back to gain length on a traditional (75') rig? Weight imbalance notwithstanding. What about leaving rear decks out beyond 4ft of trailer body?

If these questions have been answered elsewhere, I haven't found them. It would be nice if the manufacturer(s) would give better descriptions of the expensive things they want to sell. I'm looking at you too Delavan and Boydstun.

Oh yeah, if anyone has pics of some of these 80 footers, I'd love to see them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Kawinige01

Kawinige01 Heavy Load Member

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Look at the thread with the truck pictures. My job has alot of them

4. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    No they are not heavy. Im pretty sure they're lighter than your current truck and the truck before that

They do carry 4 cars across the top.
    I have no problem getting out of doors wih my cx11.
    Not sure how you were over weight with kias. I carry 9 sorentos even 9 cadenzas and have never been over. Some of our older equipment runs a bit heavy on the trailer but its usually the same guy over and over. Not sure what he's doing wrong

5. Tropsnart

Tropsnart Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2015
    Pavilion New York
    Mine weighs 43600 full of fuel and my rear in the seat. 2018 pete 389 Cummins 48 inch sleeper. 80 ft quickloader. I've always preferred a high rail for the versatility but I think I'm seeing a new light. I kinda like not flipping flippers and constantly moving straps. Haven't scaled it loaded yet because I've had a run of small loads (not complaining ). I will say that Cottrell has some quality control issues going on. Numerous hydraulic leaks, paint that looks like a 3 year old applied it in places.
    As far as maneuverability goes, it took about a week to get used to swinging just a hair wider. Now it's no big deal. The biggest issue I've found is parking. Even pulling ahead on the fuel island is interesting as you think you're far enough but then you get out and realize you need a few more feet. only 15k miles on it so far but I'm a fan!

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  6. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    The one we have has a paccar in it its 42700. Yea they definitely have some issues. Our truck has a light package and it looks like they drilled a hole in the wrong spot then tried to weld it close. Its cracked and it has a tiny hole in it. Maybe big enough for a paper clip to fit in it. And thats on the front post of the headrack

b61mack Thanks this.
  7. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
  8. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    The highrails can, the pics I've seen on FB it looks like most of them run 4 across the top and build the teepee over #5 and keep it as low as possible. The CX-9 I run can do 9 Explorers fairly easily.

Nothing in the regs prohibits either one of those.

Post your Car Hauler and Auto Carrier pictures here

Starting about post #941

Kawinige01 Thanks this.
  9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I'm in the same boat as you, @Tropsnart . Not sure I'd want to run one on used cars with multi-picks/drops, but for ramp freight, I'm loving it! Dang sure Slip Plates a lot quicker, too!

Tropsnart Thanks this.
  10. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
  11. Kawinige01

May 30, 2016
    South Fla
    Do you follow any of my co workers on fb? I dont think many people run the 80 ft highrails

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.