83 359 pete good idea/bad idea-good bad idea

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Ezrider_48501, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    so i happened to stumble onto a 83 359 pete guy said its a big cam 400 with a 13 speed. its in need of a little tlc gave it a good walk around has solid bones, roof cap on the cab needs to be replaced (guy has one that would go with it. the interior is gutted because there was a mouse nest in it but the guy still has all the parts. other than that he says it runs and drives good. it looks mechanically in good shape although i have not heard it run or drove it yet. he was not there when i looked at it.

he was asking 8900 for it. i offered him 7500 he said he will think about it and to call him back in a few days.

i am capable of making this thing a beauty again and taking care of any mechanical issues that might come up. wondering what your guy's thoughts on it are though. worth it or not? 359 corvette dash truck has always been a bit of a dream of mine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Hard to beat for the money

4. starmac

starmac Road Train Member

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    It is worth what someone will pay, and hat just depends on how bad a guy wants it. I have seen much better deals, but also seen much worse deals too.
    If I was looking at it myself, I would stick with your offer, I bet there is a good chance you will wind up with it.

If you are capable of doing all the work yourself and get it up into good shape and keep it there, you would never lose any money on it. They hold their value as good as any truck out there.

BigBob410, Tug Toy, Farmerbob1 and 4 others Thank this.
  5. Lyle H

Lyle H Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    What are you planning on doing with the truck?
    Work truck? Show truck?
    In either case, you better have plenty of money, because both scenarios will cost you plenty.
    I’m not saying don’t do it, I’m just saying it could be a money pit either way.

Tb0n3, Farmerbob1, Rugerfan and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    Doing all or just most of the work yourself a guy would have a real nice truck for 60k, look on truckpaper at what they're asking for a 359 that's been restored. Personally I'd look for a long hood, or spend the 12k to make it one.

7. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    Five years ago a friend of mine had an 85 359 ex hood for sale. He had owned it and run it for 16 years, but didn't need it anymore. Another friend bought it for 9500 bucks without the tires, but it came with the wheels.
    It also had a broke spring (air leaf)
    The truck had a hot 425 with air to air, 3 spd jakes and retarder, hot shift pto, 8 in stacks and a dash full of chrome.
    I put new brakes including new maxis, and replaced all wheel bearings and seals while I was here.
    He ran 40 trips north that winter and hen pulled hot oil all summer with it.
    He did have some insulation and a cat heater installed before running north the next winter, but that truck grossed close to 300,000 the first year with no breakdowns, the second year, he did lose a tranny.

If a guy gets one up in good mechanical shape, and treat them halfway right, they are no more of a money pit than one just out of warranty.

tommymonza, Shardrk, Tug Toy and 7 others Thank this.
  8. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    Ext hoods are over rated

Cdubb, tommymonza, Fire ant and 12 others Thank this.
  9. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    If you like it buy it! But don't take my advice because I love old trucks. Can't stop myself from acquiring them.

BigBob410, Tug Toy, Farmerbob1 and 4 others Thank this.
  10. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i thought my offer was a pretty fair offer. i really didn't feel comfortable offering any more. i look at it and see tons of hours and money going into it but i also see a really amazing truck when it would be done. being that the truck hasn't been used to haul freight 05 is really what shys me away from offering any more for it. pretty much the entire truck will need to be gone threw from top to bottom as well as a cosmetic restoration and who knows what else. it was driven to where its parked right now recently though. had it been on the road comercially within the last year or two id probably feel a little more comfortable offering a bit more but dry rot is a bitach...lol

i would probably expect to have 30k in it before it could haul its first load but its really kinda a shot in the dark till you really start digging into something like that

11. starmac

Apr 11, 2019
    Fairbanks Ak
    I have an 82 A model in similar condition that I want to do something with, hopefully I will get around to it. I have not made up my mind to stay with the big cam or go with an electronis engine yet though and that has been part of the hold up. It runs, but I will want to go through the 400 and spruce it up some with some N14 parts if I go that route , which would be neat too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.