86 FLC120 engine brake

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by MattW94, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    I’ve got a 86 FLC120 with a 400 Cummins that I’m trying to get the engine brake working. I’m assuming the person before me didn’t care for it and looks like they cut 2 of the wires. The wires are cut right at the 4 wire plug (if that makes any sense) on the side that goes to the engine. Does anyone know of how it should be wired or have any diagrams to go by?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Here’s a picture of the cut wires. Ignore the oil she’s old

Attached Files:

4. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Tools and Wizards
    Put in your engine info. Wiring is probably in installation manual.

BoxCarKidd Thanks this.
  5. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Not sure what to put for engine info. In the glove box all it says is F-400 400 hp at 1900 rpm

6. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    After looking at it it looks like the wires went to the throttle sensor because it’s completely gone

7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    If you put in your engine and truck serial some folks on here have a wealth of information. This is just of the top of my head.
    There is a switch on the fuel pump , clutch pedal and the on off switch on the dash. All of them have to have power on both sides when the brake switch is on. The engine does not have to running but the key has to be on when checking this.
    People normally refer to all engine brakes as Jakes, same as all rotary mowers are Bush Hogs. Both are incorrect. 1986 is about when C-Brakes came out. They had some snakes that came out of the bag early on. Those were tamable however you may have some surprises when you turn them on. Do not do that when your next dispatch is close.

spsauerland Thanks this.
  8. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    It is a C-Brake. Or at least the switch for it says Cummins brake. The switch on the fuel pump is completely missing. I’m assuming that’s where the cut wires went. What do you mean about you may have some surprises when you turn them on?

9. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    Here’s the switch. I’ll get a picture of the fuel pump in the morning because I’m positive the throttle switch is gone. As well as the arm that hits the switch

Attached Files:

spsauerland Thanks this.
  10. Freightliner Classic

Freightliner Classic Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2018
    Rome GA
    take and strip the wire and put them together get in the truck crank it up and flip the jakes on to see if they work if not put then the other way

11. MattW94

MattW94 Bobtail Member

Mar 21, 2019
    I’ve tried and still nothing. Is there a fuse somewhere I could check?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.