9+ MPG Class 8 5 Axel Trucks with Trailers

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Dice1, Sep 15, 2011.

1. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    The temporary dryer piping I experimented with would have let rock go thru it, but the metal piping would not and is smoother for better flow.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    My truck is the older Volvo with the single air intake like this...

[​IMG]

How I found out it needed something was when this plastic grill blew out the first part of January when I was pulling an oversized/overweight load that made me notice the throttle response difference. Notice the louvers are the wrong direction in my opinion and without the grille I noticed the box behind this had a little slot around 1" wide by around 12" long that definately restricts the air like a restrictor plate does on a race car. I ordered another grille and replaced it to notice the loss of throttle response on hills pulling a load, so I decided to experiment with what I now have. I don't think a 1" by 12" slot can pull enough air to equal what is needed thru a 5" diameter tube from air cleaner.

The stock air box and air intake system on my Volvo is designed for fleets that only have motors in the truck up to 450 hp and not a turned up 550 hp CAT with a Pittsburgh Power Box, exhaust manifold and larger turbo.

4. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC

I thought about getting a Coronado hood scoop to replace grille on my hood, but I still had to remove or get around that 1" by 12" restriction in the stock air system plumbing that led me to try the direct piping from a fog light hole. I even thought about hooking it to two fog light holes with a "Y" to maybe try more of the ram air effect, but decided between the stock intake with my new 6" piping would be enough to supply the 5" piping from the air cleaner.

Let me add the turbo doesn't seem to struggle as hard to spool up with the added plumbing and especially now that I am trying to lug motor down in as a low a rpm as possible that gearing will allow.

5. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    I guess my point was not so much a rock thru it as it literally holding up getting rocks and mud thrown at it from the steer tire when on gravel/dirt roads, especially after a rain when it is especially muddy. On highway, it would probably be fine. But, my truck does not do only hard surface each week. Even the metal tubing in the pictures looks like it would come apart frequently when subjected to more than normal highway debris. Maybe a thick PVC piping, glued elbows would be an option in rougher conditions.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  6. Les2

Les2 Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2008
    kicked back in my lazyboy...
    I can see a lot of filter changes in Dice's future with where that intake it...

Its a good idea but it will pick up all the road grime and dust.

7. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    Most every ram air scoop I have ever seen has louvers in the back to get the water bugs, dirt out of the air stream.
    Freightliner FLD120 with the air inlet screen in front of the windshield uses the preasure in front of the windshield to push the air into the air box, Just like Nascar does. It does work, Then someone leaves out the Flactuator valve and it just blows cool air on top of the transmission.
    Putting a lot of ducting to get boost when driving 60 MPH does not work when the restriction is to high when you hit a hill and need the maximum power and Boost.
    The old Cab overs had the big scoop on top of the radiator opening that fed the air filters, especially if they ran the Farr air filter system.
    Stemco use to have a chart for piping and every angle has a restriction noted if feet of straight pipe a 90 long tangent elbow was 20 ft as was a 45 degree shot tangent, flex pipe was 5 ft per ft in exhaust systems.
    My personal favorite is guys that put on rain caps backwards, restricting the exhaust. They go sideways.
    I have seen lots of guys do modifications to get more air into the system. most make it worse, test them all with a good vacuum gauge. You never know you may make the breakthrough that works.

8. last 1

last 1 Medium Load Member

Nov 29, 2009
    After the air goes thru the turbo and CAC does the outside air temp coming into the filter really make that big of a differance? I would think that the air temp plays a bigger part on the CAC than the intake.

9. Quiettime

Quiettime Bobtail Member

Nov 29, 2011
    Dice, if I'm not mistaken, you only Blue'd the bearings on the bottom of your engine. Have you considered doing the cam and cylinders as well?

Also, there was a passing mention in another thread about running a 3 axle tractor with only 1 drive axle hooked up, ie 6X2. Seems to me like a good idea for fuel efficiency considerations. Has anyone here tried it? Any downsides?

10. Dice1

Dice1 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Bessemer City, NC
    Yes I have considered an inframe with Microblue, but I am in the 9 mpg range already.

Also I am considering later this summer to going to one drive axle making the back one a tag axle using trailer tires with a lower rolling resisitance.

11. Krooser

Krooser Road Train Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Every large carrier buys fuel on contract from the truck stops chains and wholesalers... the carriers bet that fuel will get more expensive and bid accordingly. The vendors do the opposite... you win some and you lose some.

They can buy, in quantity, for 30-40 cents per gallon (or more) lower than the pump price.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.