9200i Speedometer inop

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by SpoofMastaFly, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Skate-Board

Skate-Board Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    A few times I spent lots of money and many hours trying to figure out something. I finally went to dealer and within 10 minutes they found the problem. Especially electrical problems. They have a play book that says test here, then here then here and this is your problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SpoofMastaFly

SpoofMastaFly Bobtail Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Yea we have the software cummins uses at the dealer ive gone through the trouble shooting steps it offers. As usual its a starting point and not a fix all due to their engines being offered in so many different types of trucks. Either way ill probably swap an ECU tomorrow

4. SpoofMastaFly

Oct 14, 2014
    Fixed it, rewired it from the ECU plug back to the speed sensor. No visible signs of a crack or shorted wire but it obviously had something wrong with the wire. Thanks for your help Heavy D.

Heavyd Thanks this.
  5. SpoofMastaFly

Oct 14, 2014
    Spoke to soon. Drove the truck this morning, gauge stays at 0! Anyone know how your suppose to set them? I used a feeler gauge on another truck see how far back to unscrew the speed sensor. Didn't help on this truck.

6. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    If you used a feeler gauge any thickness would work. It's what is called an inductive transducer. It's sort of like a magnet that senses metal teeth as it passes by and generates a pulse to the computer. You can be pretty far off and it works. Just get it as close as you can and it will work fine.

7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Screw in the sensor until it makes contact with the tone wheel, then back it off 1/2 turn.

Skate-Board Thanks this.
  8. Skate-Board

Aug 9, 2014
    Merrimack, NH
    Ya, that's even a better approach!

9. Ewhenry22

Ewhenry22 Bobtail Member

Apr 18, 2019
    I had the same problem I think it could help too if you pull the speedometer and rpm reader out and bend the little teeth of the connector on the back of the speedometer piece because with time they get weak and don’t touch the electrical connect all the time and can save you from buying a new one

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.