94 Pete 379 dash lights not working

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by desertdust, Apr 20, 2019.

1. desertdust

desertdust Bobtail Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Have a 94 Pete 379 that the dash lights quit working. The panel light fuse is good. The relay is clicking and all the outside clearance lights come on with the switch. Each gauge light socket has a green wire #253 (+)and a black wire #239 (-) The ground wires all test continuity to the frame. There is a spare +(253) and -(239) connector behind the dash for an extra light socket that is not being used. When I test the +(253) wire for power with my bulb tester it lights up and then all my dash lights work. Even the dimmer switch works then. Take the tester probe off the wire and they quit. I realize to a wiring guru its probably pretty obvious the problem, but I'm not a wiring genius. Any help?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mobile Proctologist

Mobile Proctologist Light Load Member

Apr 25, 2019
    Bad ground?

4. thejudges69

thejudges69 Light Load Member

Aug 22, 2015
    Bad potentiometer in the dash. Check it for power in and out. It should have 12v in and the voltage will climb as you turn the potentiometer to brighten the dash lights.

The potentiometer is the knob to make the lights bright and dim, it's a pricey switch but they don't last forever. They work off of a copper to copper contact and over time the connection between the harness and the copper can fry out.

Oxbow and Diesel Dave Thank this.
  5. FoolsErrand

FoolsErrand Road Train Member

Sep 15, 2017
    379 relay and fuse panel is very prone to corrosion and arcing thatll wreak havoc. Pull the relays and see if the socket is brown and melty. I keep the kick panel off incase i need to get an extinguisher at it.

6. Dustyroads38

Dustyroads38 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Vernal utah
    hey having a similar issue with my 379, except my outside running/clearance lights aren't working, but my dash light are.. literally started it yesterday morning and lights all worked, got a cup of coffee and have no lights. my cab clearance lights are on a separate switch and are operating fine, but the switch that power's the dashboard also power's my clearance lights and i can't seem to figure out where or why they're not working.

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    There are two sides to most of those Peterbilt switches. The power will be on the bottom power to load will be on the top. You can have power flowing thru the left side of switch but not the right or vice versa. Or you could have lost power to one leg

Oxbow Thanks this.
  8. Dustyroads38

Dustyroads38 Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2015
    Vernal utah
    i figured out that it wasnt in my switch, but had a wire that wore through on one of my bumper lights that was causing it to trip a relay. that power to switch inconsistencies gave me a headache earlier. worst part is i have a master wire diagram, but my uncle repowered the old girl with an e model and most everything he wired up is slightly different than the diagram. anywho thanks for the help.

Oxbow Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.