95 379 Peterbilt fuse panel

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by Truckertrucker39, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Truckertrucker39

Truckertrucker39 Bobtail Member

Sep 23, 2016
    I have a few brunt spots on my fuse panel and was having headlight trouble.called Peterbuilt and was told I had to buy the panel and wire harness.was just asking can the panel just be changed r do I have to buy the hold thing for this model truck.panel and wire harness was over 3000 dollars

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The fuse panel comes with the entire cab harness. Most suffer from moisture issues from water leaks from the windshields or other cab leaks over time. Big job.....

4. Cummins_444

Cummins_444 Medium Load Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Northwest, IN
    One of our 04 t800 last year had major corrosion issues. Picked up a good fuse box with the entire wiring harness attached from a salvage yard for $450. Took it to whiteford Kenworth body shop in south bend Indiana. They changed the box and rewired the truck. Took two days at a cost of $1500. Other shops were quoting crazy numbers but the Kenworth body shop was like no big deal. Whiteford thought it would take a day but the salvage yard cut some of the wires when they took it out of the truck so the body shop had a few wires to fix.

strollinruss and JimmyWells Thank this.
  5. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    I had a similar issue and all I did was replace the fuses and clean up the sockets where they plugged into the panel real good. No problems since. Might have good luck in the Garage section of the site for more information.

Coolbreezin Thanks this.
  6. Luwi67

Luwi67 Heavy Load Member

Oct 24, 2012
    Long island
    Same here.
    You can remove the terminals from the fuse box by inserting a tiny precision flat blade screwdriver in the front of the fuse box to depress the locking tab of the terminal, then pull the wire (gently) out the back to clean and adjust it well. By adjust I mean get the terminal massaged so it will hold the relay blades tight.
    It was a pain, you have to be patient. The fuse box does not have much movement even with all the screws removed to get in there easily with the mass of wires coming out the back. I managed with a lot of patience and a small mechanics mirror because you can't get your head behind there to see what your doing. Totally doable though.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Oxbow and JimmyWells Thank this.
  7. JimmyWells

JimmyWells Road Train Member

Apr 7, 2016
    Exactly. I did even less actually. I disconnected the batteries, sanded the contacts down until they were nice and shiny again then finally squeezed the contacts closer together to give a better contact for the new fuses. Of course, I don't know what the box looks like on the OP's truck but sounds like something they might want to check out.

8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Another trick that can work good to clean things up........

Put some pumice hand cleaner on the fuse or relay spades and run it in and out of the fuse/relay location that is all nastied up. The more pumice the better. The abrasives in the soap will clean the corrosion on the inside of the pin with little effort. Follow up with some electrical contact cleaner and blow dry with a blow gun or air duster. A small amount of Phillips Dielectric paste will keep the corrosion at bay. May not be a permanent fix but can definitely help get things working again.

joey8686 and JimmyWells Thank this.
  9. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I have repaired some KW's with a totally melted out fuse or relay connector. They all had unused ones and I just rewired to them. Some of the Petes have room for extra circuit breakers at the bottom. Maybe just install one and wire to that if everything else looks good.

joey8686 and Oxbow Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.