95 pete 379 cruise control problem

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by leo319, Dec 22, 2011.

1. leo319

leo319 Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    monterey bay, ca
    the cruise control in the rig dont work, i got it to work a couple of times but then when i try it again wont work... i checked the clutch switch and seems fine.. also i put a new toggle switch on it... what should i look for??

All help appreciated!!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Check the brake switch.

Diesel Dave Thanks this.
  4. leo319

leo319 Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    monterey bay, ca
    is that under the brake pedal?? do i have to remove the pedal itself? cant get under there, dont see anything either... not even cables coming out..

5. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I had the same problem 2 weeks ago. It look like a brake switch, but it a cruise control switch which knocks off the cruise control when you applied the brakes. Its under the dash, behind the ignition switch. You have to remove the bottom half of the steering column "cover" which is about 6 screws or so. Then look underneath(behind the ignition switch) and you will see 2 wires hook on a round switch. Remove the 2 little screw from the wire and use some channel lock pliers to remove the switch counter clockwise. It easy and self explanortory was you see it. I've replace 2 of them in two years. Only mine started leaking air.

6. leo319

leo319 Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    monterey bay, ca
    so just replace it flat out huh? no way to find out if good...

you know what? now that you mentioned that, i did notice than when i got it to work earlier this week i noticed that when i pressed the brakes the cruise didnt shut off... i hope thats it...

7. Diesel Dave

Diesel Dave Last Few of the OUTLAWS

Jan 20, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca.
    I think it costs around 20 bucks, the last one I replaced, The broker I haul for in regular basis told me to ask the shop and they gave me one. Im surprise yours aint leaking yet, Cause mine cruise stop working then started working again then it started leaking air.

8. CHICKENMAN

CHICKENMAN Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Winston Salem NC
    Also try pulling the brake and clutch pedal up with ur foot. I have to do that with my truck sometimes

9. leo319

leo319 Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    monterey bay, ca
    i tried doing that.. nothing happening... im curious about what dieseldave said... i have no signs of air leaks whatsoever tho.... i also heard about pulling the valves while driving might do the trick to find out if its gotta do with that.. ill drive it today..

10. leo319

leo319 Light Load Member

Jul 13, 2011
    monterey bay, ca
    cant get it to work... anyone wants to explain where i can find the brake switch so i can replace it? pics would be great.

my brake lights, signals and all that are working just fine btw.

11. mslashbar

mslashbar Medium Load Member

Jul 22, 2009
    elizabeth,co
    The brake switch is on the floor behind the steering column. You have to remove the kick panel to get to it. It screws into the air manifold, and will have a couple of wires connected to the top or side of it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.