98 pete ABS light staying on

Discussion in 'Peterbilt Forum' started by cindymz, Jan 14, 2014.

1. cindymz

cindymz Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I have a 1998 pete 379 cat 3406E. When i bought the truck the abs bulb was missing. I put a new bulb in and it stays on all the time. I've checked the fuses and did a blink code check it came back 2 blinks meaning system OK. It is a Wabco version D system 4S/4M . If the code is saying the system is OK why won't the light go off? I'm assuming that is why the bulb was missing. Any and all help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    It should reset it self, each time the truck is turned off.
    Also the wrong bulb can keep the light on.
    There is a reset button under the dash in front of the shifter, bigh square button. don't have to take any panels loose.
    Also takes moving above 5-10 mph for it to check sensors to shut light off.
    If you have someone turn key on, while you walk around the truck, starting with front left, you should be able to hear it click the sensor valves. Probably have to turn key on and off a few times to get around truck in time to hear all of them. Any not clicking will set a code and keep the light on.
    Also if you do a search on internet for Wabco antibrake system, Wabco website has a nice PDF about that complete system and the codes and trobleshooting. I've used it in the pass to fix mine a few times.

4. cindymz

cindymz Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Thanks, I'll try all of that tomorrow. I hope it works. I'll check out the website now. Thanks again for the help.

5. cindymz

cindymz Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2013
    I tried the walking around the truck and listening to all the clicking and there all working fine. Do you know what size bulb should be used since mine was missing? I checked the website and besides the testing the codes and the walk around checking for clicks I couldn't find much more info.

6. beltrans

beltrans Medium Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    spokane wa
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  7. cindymz

cindymz Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Not yet. I will have to wait until tomorrow. It can't be moved today but I will do that. Thanks

8. Flightline

Flightline Road Train Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Almost There
    I thought I mention that the truck needed to see 5-10 mph but must've gotten overlooked.
    You'll probaly find the light comes on every time you start the truck and most of the time, if you don't move the truck it might stay on.
    Sometimes this drives me crazy especially durring an inspection.

9. cindymz

cindymz Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Flightline I did see that you mentioned moving the truck 5 -10 mph, I just have not been able to move the truck yet to test that. I will try it tomorrow. Thanks

10. Catliner

Catliner Light Load Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Thompson, GA
    We had a similar problem with a daycab Pete. the light wouldn't go off until it was driven around the block after we did the brakes and cleaned the wheel speed sensors.

11. cindymz

cindymz Bobtail Member

Nov 3, 2013
    OK I was able to drive the truck today and the abs light went out as soon as I picked up a little speed. I now have a new problem. My headlight come on but my dash lights and some lights in the sleeper will not go on. There is no power to the fuse. Is there another fuse somewhere else? Thanks

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.