A business idea

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by Arch Stanton, May 19, 2021.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Not intermodal. Trailer/freight interchange agreement. Im telling you that's what it is, not asking.

I've done this before.

Midwest Trucker Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Light Load Member

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    The tire issue is simple if your pulling it its your flat and the tire must be of an agreed to quality and if the cost of a tire is a deal breaker this may not be a business for you.
    I think the liability of damaged freight is a little harder if you crash it's your liability but if a damaged load is only seen when the seal is broken then is the cost 1000 or less no big deal but if it's 100,000 thats going to be an issue.
    and for the trailer I think just leasing from a big company is probably the way to go I have one from mckinney for 300 a month plus 6 cents a mile
    and what is OSD

4. Arch Stanton

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    thats interesting I had not thought about desert center that whole area was recently sold at auction but lots of area to meet up and this does not have to be done at night I figure it could be anytime of day but during the summer night would be the most pleasant

Bakerman Thanks this.
  5. Arch Stanton

May 5, 2019
    San Diego
    Yes they do now but Kali is going to krack down come 2023, and CARB has proposed at the latest meeting that all trucks entering Kali will have to be smog tested every quarter by plugging into the ECM to make sure all trucks are in compliance and all of us from Kali will have to due the same testing.

Bakerman and mp4694330 Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    How does one state’s clean air board get to trump the Interstate Commerce clause in the constitution?

Anyway, while it sounds good on paper I don’t think it would be very popular with owner operators. I know I’d have a hard time trusting someone with my source of income for a couple days.

7. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Good luck with that.

Dave_in_AZ and Doealex Thank this.
  8. Doealex

Doealex Medium Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    You don't give much credit to the Kommi-fornia's government shills, do you?

RockinChair, Dave_in_AZ and Bakerman Thank this.
  9. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    They’ll just stop every truck crossing the scale and test them. The trucks lined up back to Vegas won’t be a problem. Lol

10. Bakerman

Bakerman Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Nope

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Lots of Chicago based companies have their local drivers or affiliated carriers with cross docking capabilities operating in LA or Sacramento-San Fransisco areas already, doing pick ups and deliveries. Thats more or less for partial loads, or freight that is sent on train - sending trailers on train is a common practice, that's why Chicago - CA full truck load freight is so cheap, often cheaper then Chicago - Denver or Chicago - Salt Lake City lanes. They deliver their freight to Ontario CA, Sacramento - Stocton and deposit their freight at the nearby warehouses which can also handle local deliveries.

See, the thing is that California inbounds pay little but outbound freight is where the money is. I, personally, would have a thousand of worries on my head, if it were not me delivering or picking up the freight which I sign for. Once you pick up the freight, you are responsible for it during transit. Even, if it is financially justified, which I doubt - you'd need to sit idle for at least two days in Primm or Kingman and be short of what...$2-3k at least? - I still see it as too much liability and not worth the headache.

Last edited: May 21, 2021
  12. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Over/short/damages

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.