A/C help on Thermoking

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Chris50, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Chris50

Chris50 Medium Load Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    Can anyone point me to where I can put some r134 in the thermoking apu ac system? I think ive seen the ports when i had the covers off but which one is to charge? Do i add it while the engine and a/c is on? tia

chris

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    The low pressure side should be pretty obvious when looking at it. The fitting on the hose from the can will only fit one connection, so it is pretty foolproof.
    You need to add it while the ac is on, engine running.
    Dont add too much or it could blow the compressor etc. Most have a safety valve these days, but not familiar with the Tripac system myself.

Martin

Cummimgs Trucking LLC Thanks this.
  4. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    take the lower front cover off and the ports will be on the lines coming off the a/c compressor, eng running in a/c mode and hook the can tap up, it will only go on the low side fitting. the tripac only holds 1.5 lbs r134a. hope this helps. also what is it doing to make you think it needs freon? i work on these on a daily basis for a large fleet.

5. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    The TriPac will shut off if the freon is low, but it will also do this if the switch at the back of the cab is not working or has a bad connection or corrosion on its pins. With as little freon as the system holds if it is really low you need to find where it is leaking and fix that 1st.

6. Chris50

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    It may have been low on freon when i got the truck im not sure but last year it started giving a check ac code and the apu would not run.. took it to TK and they added some freon, it was low, worked perfect till now. Tech searched for a leak back then , said it was too small he couldnt find it with sniffer. He said i could rerun the ac lines for close to 500$ or spend 100$ and just have it refilled every year, i want to try myself first ,anyhow..

Right now it still works in AC mode and i hear the compressor and condensor fan come on just the air never gets cold, i just wanted to try and add 1/4 to 1/2 a lb and see what happens,,, Thermoking said it should shut off and give a code,like it did before,maybe its right on the threshold of being low enough to throw the code??? the belt is fine... apu runs like a champ otherwise

thanks again

chris

7. Hardlyevr

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    Apparently they are having issues with the crimps at the ends of hoses, and since they really don't make standardized hoses, each installation is sorta unique.

8. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    How often does the AC cycle (kick on and off, on and off)? If its doing it rapidly, every 20 or 30 seconds or even faster. Thats a give away its just low on freon. The compressor should stay engaged closer to a minute, thats just a ball park estimate.

You can add freon yourself easily, and itll cost you under $50 the first time.

Go to any autoparts store on planet earth, and buy ya one of these.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/arctic-freeze-r-134a-refrigerant-with-trigger-dispenser/p2011345.jcwx?filterid=c2308u0j1

If you can find one with a smaller 1lbs bottle, get it instead of the larger size. I doubt youll need any thing more than about 1/2 a lbs. Its a pretty small system. And, you can always dump the left over into your trucks AC system. Save the refill tool that comes with the kit, you can use it over and over again. And then youll only need to buy a single bottle of freon next time you need to refill it. Make sure you get the tool that has a gauge built into it, just like the one in that photo. It gets you very close to where your system needs to be, and you dont have to drag around an actual set of freon gauges.

Also, when you buy that kit. Youll notice the can of r134a will have all kinds of additives in it. Die leak detector, leak stopper, oil etc etc. It is ok to add that stuff the first time you do this, it might even stop the leak if its minor. But, next year when you need to do it again. Buy plain/straight r134a. They usually keep the plain stuff behind the counter, and its actually cheaper. You dont want to keep adding that extra stuff over and over, thats bad.

Youtube the term " Arctic Freeze how to video " they have just the video you need to see, it shows you just about everything you need to know. Youll need to use the low side port, which I believe is always the larger of the two fittings, the dispenser tool fitting should only fit on the low side larger port.

Probably the most important advice I can give you. Add a little freon at a time, by pulling the trigger on the tool. Listen to the AC compressor, you should notice the time between on/off cycles gets longer and longer. Climb inside the truck often to verify the air is actually getting colder too. If you add too much, it will stop cooling all together, and youll have to let some out. Stop filling often and read the gauge. Again, do not over fill, more is not better. Less is more.

As the freon enters the system youll feel the can of freon start to get cold. Thats good, that means its working and entering the system. If it gets too cold and ices over in your hand it will slow or stop entering the system as pressure becomes less. You can dip the can in a bowl of hot water to re warm and raise pressure again. I honestly doubt youll need to do that with the small amount of freon your putting in, but just in case.

Also, set the Tri Pak to its coldest AC setting (50F) and turn the fan on its highest setting while your adding freon. This ensures its working at its max cooling cycle.

Oh, and btw. My TK unit rubbed a hole in one of the AC condenser lines (hanging on the back of the cab) and dumped 100% of its freon. The unit never shut off, and the compressor would cycle about every two seconds. It never shut itself off, and never gave a code. It just continued working itself to death.

Chris50 Thanks this.
  9. Chris50

Jun 21, 2010
    Florida
    Ok maybe the compressor is not cycling, the condensor fan is working, I dont hear anything from the compressor,maybe its staying on constantly, or not on at all??? Its 68 degrees here, too cold for AC to work? i thought there was some kind of limit..

Ive let it run at 50 degrees Hi/AC for 15 minutes now, fan is on dont hear any changes, cab air is outside temp.. what else besides freon could it be? bad compressor? thanks again

chris50

10. country29

country29 Medium Load Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Arkansas
    could be binary switch on drier, blockage in the line, no power to compressor from circuit board, low freon, clutch worn, etc.

11. Hardlyevr

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I'm guessing it is not low freon, becsause if it was the system will shut itself off and give you a fault code. So you may have a bad compressor that is not kicking on, or something else electrical that is keeping it from kicking on.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.