a/c not cooling on idle

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by Sodapop, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Sodapop

Sodapop Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2010
    Blytheville,Ar
    Just had my truck in the shop with my a/c not cooling well..They checked the pressure with guages..Low side was showing around 70-75 lbs. Informed it was to high. So i let them pump it down change the orphas and reinstall the freon. Guages still show the same. Everytime i come to an idle or at a stop sign it starts blowing hotter..I have been running out in Az in the last month. I have washed out the condensor and radiator..Just put on a new air cooler. Any idea why i am still getting a High Low psi on my a/c.Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    The fan has to kick in to pull air across the condenser when you are idling and no moving very fast. Is the engine fan coming on at all?

4. Vegas Reaper

Vegas Reaper Light Load Member

Sep 5, 2011
    Las Vegas, NV
    your compressor is shot more than likely, get the part yourself and go to a shop and save a few bucks. you will have to pay for a full recharge on your freon tho.

5. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    What is your high side pressure when this occurs?

6. Wiseguywireless

Wiseguywireless Road Train Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Petoskey, MI
    Mine is the same way. Someone the other day told me it had a bad High Pressure switch. For what it is worth. Mine freezes me out of the truck when I am rolling down the road. I can set the engine on High Idle and run the engine fan on Manual and it still won't work when idling!

7. Blind Driver

Blind Driver Road Train Member

Aug 7, 2006
    New Albany, IN
    ^^ terrible advice.

What are the high AND low pressures at idle?

When I clean a condenser, i soak everything in Power Purple for five minutes, then rinse it all at with low pressure from the engine side through the grill.

Are the condenser fins bent? That will restrict airflow and the low pressure side to read high on the guages.

Make sure the fan is on. I have to turn mine on manually, then I always forget to turn it off when I hit the highway :(

07-379Pete Thanks this.
  8. Sodapop

Mar 19, 2010
    Blytheville,Ar
    guages were reading at idle..75 low pressure ---high side was going from 250-350...

9. Sodapop

Mar 19, 2010
    Blytheville,Ar
    and yes the fins are in badd shape..i had them some what straigtened out...with a special tool..they still look badd

10. bender

bender Road Train Member

Jul 20, 2010
    Don't Kid Yourself
    Replace condenser
    Verify proper charge for your system (over charge will drive both low and high side pressures up and both of yours are high)
    Verify proper engine fan operation
    You didn't mention the evaporator filter or cleanliness of evaporator?
    How is your heater set up? Blend door or coolant control valve?
    Consider installing manual shutoff valves in your heater hose.

11. Sodapop

Mar 19, 2010
    Blytheville,Ar
    thanks bender,iagree i need to put water shut offs in the line to shut off flow in to the system. Evaporator and filter is good...Good advice on condensor,..Fan sems to be running fine kicking on when it is supposed to be..Thanks to all replies..will p/u you condensor and replace tomorrow..will post results..

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.