A/C problem

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by Cindy, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    Hi, I have a 2005 T2000 Kenworth. Idling, the a/c it's not real cold. When you drive it it gets a little colder. Site glass on the dryer you can see bubbles. Hooked up gages and tried to put freon in it, the low side on the gage goes up to 100 psi and the high side gage goes to 120 psi. Could the compressor be bad? or the expansion valve? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    sounds like compressor is bad maybe a little low on charge of freon. it should take around 4 lbs of freon maybe remove freon and charge back up to spec although it sounds like your compressor is either not kicking on or not doing what its supposed to do.

4. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    The compressor does come on, but when you put freon in on the low side shouldn't the gage go down and not up? Thanks

5. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    it should go down yes, i was just saying to remove all the freon and measure how much you removed if you pull around 4lbs then the compressor is done if you remove 2 then charge it up and see what it does.

Cindy Thanks this.
  6. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    OK thanks, I will try this. Do you know why the compressor would be wet all the way around? Thanks again.

7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    probably its leaking its a posibility is it wet with oil maybe

Cindy Thanks this.
  8. Ribeye

Ribeye Light Load Member

Jan 4, 2012
    yup, if wet around compressor, its leaking oil and freon there. Or mount your gauges, run engine and AC to charge them up, then turn off eng to do a leak-down test. Let it sit for at least 10-15-30 min. whatever you prefer. It should not leak down much if good compressor. But if compressor is all wet, you should see a pressure drop to confirm compressor is culprit. If leak is that bad, a stop leak product won't do much either, must swap out compressor.
    Get one on Ebay probably cheapest, easy to do yourself. Probably get a new Dryer accumulator too, and get a vacuum pump at auto parts store for free-rental with a deposit. Check on Youtube vids if you need instruction how to do it.

Cindy Thanks this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Light Load Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Lakeland, Fl
    Thanks I will try that. I appreciate the help.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.