a/c unit runs great, but engine fan running constantly

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by BLUEICEMAN, Jul 22, 2017.

1. BLUEICEMAN

BLUEICEMAN Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2017
    I have a 2008 kw t660 c15, my a/c unit runs great (cold), new a/c compressor, new fan-clutch, but once a/c is on though my engine fan is constantly on, it will cut off for a few seconds and come back on. The hotter it is outside the longer it stays on.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Ok, normal if you are parked or stop and go in the city, should not be on while at highway speeds. So how are you driving it?

BLUEICEMAN and SAR Thank this.
  4. BLUEICEMAN

Jul 22, 2017
    I use it as a spare for now but want to get it fixed before getting it back on the road since it does burn more fuel with the fan running.

5. passingthru69

passingthru69 Road Train Member

Humidity and outside temps drive up the head pressure on the AC, fan kicks on to lower that pressure in your AC system
    Just be glad it kicks in and out. Not coming on will cause a AC line to break.
    Then no AC and a grand or more to fix it

noluck, BLUEICEMAN, SAR and 1 other person Thank this.
  6. KB3MMX

KB3MMX Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2014
    Orrstown, PA
    Bingo

Usually if they run that much it's got a pretty healthy charge in it.

As mentioned it's the high pressure switch that engages the fan..... It runs until the timer cut out in the ECM or the pressure drops and stays down.

You want to see it running that means the AC it's working properly...

BLUEICEMAN Thanks this.
  7. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Check the ac line between the compressor and condenser to see if there are two pressure switches. One will be a high pressure cut off to the compressor and the other will be your high pressure input to the ECM to turn the fan on. If the fan is on too much, you basically need to get pressure gauges hooked up to see what pressure the fan is kicking on at. Generally, even on a hot day, the pressure will increase rather rapidly, but the fan won't kick in until the pressure is about 300-350 psi. With the fan on, the pressure will rapidly drop down the 150-200 psi range depending on how hot it is outside. Once the pressure drops, the pressure switch resets. Most engines will run for a minimum of 3 minutes after the high pressure switch resets to prevent rapid fan clutch cycling. This can cause the fan to seem like it is running too much as once it turns off, it is only a brief time before the pressure is back up to 300 again, and the fan is once again commanded on. If your fan is kicking in at way less than 300, the pressure switch is faulty. If the pressure rises way too quickly, the condenser may not be cooling properly. It is common for older condensers to have the cooling fins starts to separate from the cooling tubes which causes a lowered efficiency of the condenser itself.

8. p608

p608 Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2016
    if you just had the compressor replaced it may be overcharged.

BLUEICEMAN Thanks this.
  9. BLUEICEMAN

Jul 22, 2017
    Thanks for all the replies, I now have something to go by.

10. Bad Monkey

Bad Monkey Medium Load Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Goshen, IN
    That's what my o6 IH 9400 did, the fan ran constantly because it was overcharged. I had half a pound drained out then it worked great.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.