A few questions for System and TWT drivers

Discussion in 'TWT' started by nqSupes, Dec 26, 2018.

1. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    Hello folks, I'm strongly considering going to either System or TWT once I'm done with CDL school. I had some things I wanted to ask some drivers though.

Those of you that drive PNW regional for TWT, do you tend to have to drive over night?

Finally for those that drive for System, are a lot of the system trucks manuals or autos? Also, could you describe to me what the physical agility test is for flatbed?

Thanks a bunch.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    You'll need to pack 100 lbs 14 feet high.

I don't think I've ever seen a load go by that wasn't tarped. :)

nqSupes Thanks this.
  4. Odin's Rabid Dog

Odin's Rabid Dog Heavy Load Member

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    I've been driving for System since November the first week in November. The physical ability test is not that big of a deal if you're in decent physical shape youre going to have it not have any problems with it. I'm 56 years old when I took the test I was in pretty crappy shape and I didn't have any trouble with it.

All the newer trucks are going to Auto I'm driving a four-year-old t660 with a Eaton 10 speed and I'm going to really miss the 10-speed the manual.

In two months I've only had one load that I didn't have to tarp. And I'm not kidding. So if you think tarpings going to be a problem for you go find a dry Van Company.

Another thing if you do go with System or TWTor JJW you definitely want to notice problems with your truck when you're as far away from the home shop as you can, and get your problems fixed on the road because the shop at the terminal is so busy they have usually at least one day of wait time before you can get your tractor in there so get your s*** fixed out on the road somewhere at a truck stop.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
    IluvCATS and nqSupes Thank this.
  5. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Also a brief note about automatic vs. Manual.

If you look at my some of my old posts from like I don't know 6 months ago or something when I first came onto this forum I was a big fan of automatics.

And I still am I don't hate the #### things but I've been driving stick now for since last spring and I'm digging it.

I've been hearing a lot of complaints from other System Transport drivers about the way the new automatic are programmed, that they spend a lot of time climbing really slow because of the programming in the automatic.

Now that's just that's hearsay, I haven't driven a System Transport automatic yet so I don't know but I do know that I'm dreading it.

6. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    Thanks for the replies, very helpful. Made me feel better about doing the flatbed physical.

If you don't mind me asking, what made you go to System? I noticed that you've been less than thrilled with them lately from some comments you made in another thread, would you recommend the company to a new driver? Lastly, have you ever been able to take your truck home for home time? I'd be almost 500 miles from Missoula or over 100 from the yard in Longview. I, realistically, can't take our only gas car and leave it either place for a week or more at a time and leave my wife with only an electric car with limited range.

IluvCATS Thanks this.
  7. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Not sure why you mentioned Missoula because I live a hundred twenty miles from Missoula and there ain't no System Transport anything there.

Cheney Washington is the terminal I drive out of. I went with System Transport for the flatbed experience.

I'm getting good experience and honestly for the most part it's a really good company. Usually when things go wrong they get right on it.

I'm really just going through sort of a disillusionment phase right now. I have had a lot of problems with the shop and I've had I had a lot of problems with a driver manager that I had for 2 months but I just got her to replace last week so we'll see how that goes.

All in all honestly really pretty good company. Any companies made of people and people are not perfect so there's going to be problems any company you go to, it's not going to be perfect.

And again like I said I'm sort of in a disillusionment phase, sort of getting the dose of reality after that first two months of "I love this place" and now it's sort of you know I'm seeing through the shine just a little bit but I'll probably be sticking around with System, it's a good company, they pay me well.

I work my butt off but they I feel that they pay me fairly for the work that I'm doing so you know what more can you ask for. The benefits are decent and there's a lot of really good, decent people.

8. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Sorry I didn't address your question about do I get to take my truck home for home time.

No.

And I've been told it's absolutely out of the question.

Although that was my old driver manager and quite frankly she was a blowhard anyway so we'll see if anything changes with the new one but I live up in the Flathead Valley around Kalispell and supposedly they've got like seven or eight other drivers up there and so trying to juggle people to take their trucks on home time when let's face it the Flathead Valley isn't exactly a cargo Hub it's a bit a bit of an issue so I was prepared for the four and a half hour commute one way each time I go home.

Which has started making me look a lot more closely at local jobs.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2019
  9. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    I'm not sure what I was thinking when I wrote Missoula...probably getting their HQ location mixed up with Jim Palmer or somebody. I've been researching so many companies lately they all kinda blend together at some point!

Keep me posted on how things go concerning taking your truck home with your new driver manager.

I spoke to a recruiter specifically about TWT back in early December. I asked about taking those trucks home and I could have swore she said "no, but on the flatbed division you can." Perhaps I remember wrong?

10. Odin's Rabid Dog

May 6, 2018
    NW MT
    Maybe not, I think it depends on where you live. I live in a freight blackhole, so that's why I can't take my truck for hometime.

nqSupes Thanks this.
  11. nqSupes

nqSupes Bobtail Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Odell, Oregon
    I suppose that's possible. I'll have to call again sometime and make sure.

Odin's Rabid Dog Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.