A flatbedder's worst nightmare

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by bigkev1115, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Legal minimums make me uneasy.

Especially when they talk about cargo having .8g or 80% of it's weight in force applied to it under braking.

If my company ever got me to do a 45K coil, I'd ask them to buy me enough American-made 3/8" or 1/2" chains/binders to cover 100% of the weight. I'm not doing a coil with rusty 5/16" chains from China.

REO6205 and misterG Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm still trying to decide if I want to aim for ltl or food service when I leave my current gig. The thought that I might end up pulling a cold box....

4. 6wheeler

6wheeler Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2009
    Once again someone trying to post something useful for the rest of us and a few people go after the OP and attack.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Food service is tough, as I’m sure you’ve read about in the LTL section. You will definitely earn your money. My job is less work, IMHO.

stwik Thanks this.
  6. ChaoSS

ChaoSS Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2014
    I'm certain it is. I did rooftop deliveries of shingles for four months before getting laid off. I liked what it did to my body, and I suspect good service would be similar.

On the other hand, your job would be better than what I do now. Just need to avoid getting sucked into some line haul garbage. Not sure what pays better, though that probably depends on where you live.

7. soloflyr

soloflyr Medium Load Member

Nov 6, 2009
    Houston, Texas
    LTL with the right company probably wouldn’t be too bad, I’m basing that on my time with CF back in the 80’s though. I’m sure some things have changed but probably still not a bad option in this day & time.

Anything to do with food service or grocery warehouses, I don’t imagine they’ve gotten any better than the last time I looked at them years ago.

stwik Thanks this.
  8. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    If you’ve delivered roofing, then you are certainly no stranger to hard work and more than likely could handle food service.

As for city vs linehaul, there are many factors in play there. My terminal for example doesn’t really have any long linehaul runs, and only one day run, so basically when all is said and done the city guys do better if you go far enough away, and we run to the limits of the local exemption.

9. MACK E-6

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Worst thing about that IMHO is not only having to fingerprint every single piece on that trailer with every delivery being an inside delivery, but food service guys are often expected to do such things as stocking shelves, rotating product, and taking expired product back.

misterG Thanks this.
  10. Opendeck

Opendeck Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2017
    I didn't say that's how I'd do it. The guy I quoted said 8 was the legal minimum needed.

SAR and Zeviander Thank this.
  11. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    If you come to a hard enough stop, the inertia created can be many times the actual weight of the coil. A hard brake wouldn’t be enough though, you’d have to actual hit some immovable object, and one could argue that what you hit would be at least as much concern as what is coming from behind.

I was sitting at a dead stop one time and another truck rear-ended me running about 40mph. Driver never did hit the brakes. I did break 2-3/8 chains but the load stayed on my trailer. The truck that hit me was hauling crane counterweights and one of the weights did fall off.

TripleSix, cke, misterG and 2 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.