A helping hand

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by SoulScream84, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Oh yeah, all the smart TVs have cameras installed. The Chinese are watching everything we do. They must be pretty bored.

Wasted Thyme and G13Tomcat Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. theSoz

theSoz Light Load Member

Jan 24, 2020
    Sounds like someone *cough* might have watched a lil too much tv!! ha ha

4. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    This is what my friend uses still. He’s on some local carrier. Only good in a small radius near Jackson, MS
    But he never really leaves the area

Nokia 3410 - Wikipedia

G13Tomcat and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Oh yes I remember those. We had a little wonderful dual channel something or other phone back I think 1999 for trucking under Sprint. Unlimited all over USA then.

Fast foward one day into mid 2000 that phone was a prized antique. Still using it.

One day they called. A cold call marketing for upselling for money going out on whiz bang new flip phone and text which we did not know much of. Plus a new contract. Why? Oh that old phone we don't think we can support it anymore. (Of course not... Bear with me)

What we should have done was sorry we are happy with the current contract. The key is contract. They had to provide that low level service to my phone antique as it was. It probably strained their zillion cell towers to do it. Not only that but its lawful against them. They had to maintain that old service.

Anyway in the south the result was a great deal of spun money. We all came out of that hot mess break even after the State AG got involved. It was a boom time for them selling those new smart phones, data by the kilobyte (How dare they.... you millinels don't know kilobytes... thats dailup stuff) and so on. A stack of fees too. My typing goes bad when I think about it.

Its interesting. We are reduced to text generally, relay for important calls and pretty much block a stack of spammers for which the do not call list has no power over. They turned out to be impotent. A paper tiger without teeth. meow.

The more they try to evolve this the more we push back and seek out older technology. They rudely killed 3G and 2G last year for good. So thats out. One phone with the ex still uses 3G so they have to provide that. They bury her in calls PWEASE try this wonderful phone. Ya right. Once burnt twice shy.

Rideandrepair and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  6. HoneyBadger67

HoneyBadger67 Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2018
    Savannah, TN

It pretty bad that Americans and their doctors are so pill happy that the results can be found in the aquifers. Antibiotics, opioids, pecker pills, everything is already in the water you drink.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  7. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Most anybody that has taken "shop" in High School knows that when you run a current through a wire a magnetic field is generated. Anytime you pass a wire through a magnetic field a small current is generated in that wire. This is the main principle of electric power generation and "radio". It has been at least to my satisfaction proven that magnetic radiation can cause cancer. Opinions on this subject are all over the map, to be honest. That Bluetooth headset you use also puts out a small amount of "radiation". Your CB radio does as well. Last time I looked it was very difficult to drive down a freeway in most any large metro area and not see some form of a broadcast tower at least every mile. While I believe people are getting cancers from magnetic radiation, I don't think it is solely coming from holding a cell phone next to your noggin.

While writing this I googled that term and found this article from 2018, I remember reading it about a year ago. It's from the Mayo Clinic, and I highly doubt the cell phone industry funded any of this.

HoneyBadger67 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  8. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    I don’t declare any of it to be true. The Story I heard of more about the cell phone industry squashing research. Old timers used to tell about hunting in the swamp, in 1920s where I grew up.How they filled it with anything and everything,sure has been a lot of cancer, and at young ages. Makes me wonder

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    No need to go to Drs. Lol. It’s also sad that I live 5 miles from some of the best Walleye waters. Unsafe to eat. I’ve eaten plenty of it, along with Perch. But I won’t anymore, after what I’ve learned.

HoneyBadger67 Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Please don't think my comment was saying it's not true. I'm saying I believe it is true that magnetic radiation does cause cancer. I just don't think there is a link between cell phones and cancer that's been firmly established. I do agree with the good Doctor that wrote that Mayo Clinic article, I think it's way too early to say either way. I have had maybe 30 to 40 Xrays taken of my joints from my ankles to my shoulders. I have had 5 MRIs. At least 3 Cat scans of my brain. I worry more about this then I do my cell phone.

11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I think they’re done watching me after seeing me laying around in my underwear. :biggrin_25523:

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.