A New Fleet Manager

Discussion in 'Werner' started by cornhusker55, Nov 16, 2015.

1. cornhusker55

cornhusker55 Bobtail Member

Nov 16, 2015
    Hi everyone,

I have been a fleet manager for a short time and want to gain a better understanding of the problems that drivers face / how I can improve myself in my day-to-day job. Does it all come down to the load you are assigned? Any suggestions / experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks,

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Pool6710

Pool6710 Medium Load Member

Aug 10, 2014
    Minnesnowta
    What type of trucks do you dispatch?
    Flat van refer?

4. Straight Stacks

Straight Stacks Paper Cha$er

Jul 18, 2015
    Alabama Gulf Coast
    Alright I'm sittin down for this one...
    image.jpeg

5. cornhusker55

Nov 16, 2015
    Van network

6. cornhusker55

Nov 16, 2015
    I'm sure the replies will all be pleasant. Haha

BoxCarKidd and Straight Stacks Thank this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Just go team with some fat nasty dirty driver for two weeks out in Northeast and you will know everything first hand without any advises

8. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    I think communication is extremely important. Give the drivers as much information as you can, listen to their concerns, and try your very best to address any problems. I've been in your position. I found that a lot of drivers want nothing more than to do their assigned job without constant surveillance, and signs of appreciation and respect go a long way with them. Others are off chasing butterflies in their mind, and getting the job done isn't necessarily their top priority. They require a little more attention and some finesse when dealing with them. My drivers all knew that I would stand up for them, the same as I would for my kids, and as a result I had the top producing fleet in the company. You'll be fine

9. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    When you, or planning, or the tooth fairy, spaces off making an appointment, and we take it in the rear, for 24 hours, maybe even 48, don't give any grief on some layover pay. Your never gonna give that much detention, so just kick down the money.

Pre plan your drivers that like to run.

Answer the drivers questions as quickly as possible, and be honest, your company demands the highest honesty from us, so please do the same.

There were two drivers killed in accident by some doper in Colorado.
    They get to heaven, and St. Peter says, " Come on in, lemme show you around. "
    Well there's all these brand new W900's & Extended Hoods, all brand new trailers. Freight is all palletized and pre loaded. Best lookin' waitresses you could ever imagine giving everyone coffee and steak, and everyone just kind of ratchet jawing.
    The one driver says, " St. Peter this is really great."
    St. Peter says, " Well it is heaven."
    The other driver says, " St. Peter I notice that nothing is moving though."
    St. Peter gets this frown, looks down at the earth and shakes his head. He looks at the drivers and says, " We've never had a dispatcher make it yet."

10. mountaingote

mountaingote Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2012
    ^^By the same token, Einstein wasn't a driver, either

11. cornhusker55

Nov 16, 2015
    Agreed. Communication seems to be the most important factor. When big mistakes happen, it is hard to keep up with all communication channels. One thing is for sure: The best drivers are hard to deal with.

mountaingote Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.