A new, new direction...

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by JReding, Jun 18, 2018.

1. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That table makes quality of life on the road so much better. Simple things like being able to sit down and open the laptop up on the table vs sitting up in your mates with the laptop on your thighs. Or being able to sit down to eat vs trying to eat over the steering wheel.

Those little things make a huge impact on my mood while being away from home.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Feedman and JReding Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I've done truck loads of La-Z-Boy's. The sleep sofas are a beast. Not so much heavy, they do have weight, just awkward due to there size. The rest aren't bad at all.

One thing you will want, Tylenol. LOL.

I do a decent amount of fingerprinting, and it does help to get the heart beating.

You got a fridge, or you using an ice chest?
    Volvos typically have a great factory inverter.
    Mine had an 'Opti-Idle' system, no APU, turn on cruise for AC or heat while sleeping, does its own regen, and would increase or drop the idle all by itself.

LOVE the moose bumper. Now that's what I'm talking about.

As far as what do you need for short stints.

Go to Walmart, get your toiletries, I always keep a lot of food but I stay out awhile.
    Fridge or ice chest, I keep the makings for salad.
    Milk for cereal.
    Typically I will cook several days worth of chicken breast and steak and throw in there as well when I first leave the house.
    I like an ice chest. Bag of ice every other day keeps everything just fine. I've always found truck fridge just isn't very big.

I so love that moose bumper.

@Lepton1 really likes those too.

Lepton1, x1Heavy and JReding Thank this.
  4. JReding

JReding Road Train Member

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Thanks!
    Yeah, my friend and former boss calls it a “moose killer”, LOL...

I haven’t had a chance to finish setting up yet. I’m flat broke, in fact my account is overdrawn until Friday morning. So no cooler or fridge yet, I’ll get one this weekend. There are 110 outlets in the berth, but they don’t appear to be working, so I need to do some troubleshooting on the problem. Any help with that would be appreciated, since I’ve never had a sleeper before. In the meantime, I made an “emergency “ purchase of a cheapo 300w inverter, just enough to charge my phone, headset and computer for now.

Dave_in_AZ and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    As far as Volvos go, I’m just not a fan of them. I miss having my Cascadia. Maybe I can get one of my own someday...

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    That thing should have a monster factory inverter.
    Open the outer door on the drivers side for the under bunk storage. You should be able to see it.
    Flip up the bunk inside the sleeper. On the drivers side, there should be a switch that will turn them on.

JReding and shogun Thank this.
  7. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    As far as unloading, some guys kept a hand truck on their catwalk. I was in my mid 20's so I just did it all by hand. A nice trick is to put some sand down so the boxes will slide easily if you have to tailgate like I did.

I always called my first customer and asked if I could sleep their overnight. Rarely did they say no. That way you can hit the ground running. I was on paper logs back then though. LOL.

KillingTime, Lepton1, JReding and 2 others Thank this.
  8. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    BIG HUGR DIFFERENCE. That's not really hauling sticks. Its just a different kind of freight. Tossing furniture you will sweat and lose a few pounds, the first couple months. After that your body will be acclimated and it will be just another day.

Feedman Thanks this.
  9. JReding

Sep 8, 2014
    Puyallup, WA
    Everybody there complains about the handtrucks they use. I got ahold of the supplier that Viking Freight/FedEx Freight has used for umpteen years, I can get a higher quality handtruck to my liking at a lower cost, and Sunbelt will help cover costs.

Lepton1, Feedman and shogun Thank this.
  10. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I always refer to those as Hamburger Helper.
    82011765.jpg

Muttsley, stwik, Feedman and 4 others Thank this.
  11. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I bet that was fun to get out of the cattle guard

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.