A.P.U?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckingSulzi_USA, Dec 30, 2007.

1. TruckingSulzi_USA

TruckingSulzi_USA Bobtail Member

Jun 24, 2007
    The most important thing for me is how much electrical power the APU provides.
    And do u have like a 110V socket in the Truck?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    110 power is no problem, as I stated in my previous post the blackrocks do have a generator 3800 watts I believe but the only thing I use the generator for is I hardwired my block heater to the generator with a switch in the cab, I never have a cold engine when I am on the road, for my 110 power inside the truck I hooked up a 3500 watt inverter and that is PLENTY of power I have wired the truck with 10 places to plug something into total. With the 110 power being supplied by the inverter I have 110 power available all the time and don't have to run the generator constantly, the blackrock has a battery monitor on it and will auto start to keep the batteries charged so I save even more on fuel, not a lot mind you, as it only uses 2 tenths an hour to begin with but a penny saved is a penny earned.

4. TruckingSulzi_USA

Jun 24, 2007
    So u have an inverter conected to ur blackrock?

Or just plugged in to ur cigarett lighter?

5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled

400 watts is about the limit for a lighter plug inverter, anything much bigger has to be wired to the batteries using large cables and connections,if you stay under about 800 watts, you can connect to hot terminals with clamp terminals. Many trucking companies don't allow large inverters to be installed in their trucks.

A work around I have seen is jumper cables used for a temporary installation, that allows you to run a 1500 watt inverter without a permanent installation, and run a microwave or resistance heater.

6. gearjammer-2000

gearjammer-2000 <strong>Clutch User</strong>

Dec 18, 2007
    columbus Ohio
    the inverter is hooked to the batteries the apu alternator keeps the batteries charged when its running

7. TruckingSulzi_USA

Jun 24, 2007
    Ah ok now its clear to me ty!

8. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    The Tri-Pak is hooked up the same way.....The inverter that comes with the system has 4 3-pronged plug-in slots....I have 3 3 socket extension cords plugged in to that....and one open in case I want to run an extension cord outside for a drop light etc.

9. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    I have a Willis with a 3000 watt inverter. The Willis has a 3 cylinder Kubota that runs smoother at lower RPMs than a two cylinder. I got my APU under a government interest free lease to own plan, payments of $160/month for 5 years.

10. TruckingSulzi_USA

Jun 24, 2007
    Cool steve, I wish more Trucking Companies would equip der Trucks with APUs.
    Well thats not bad, 160$ per month.

11. MGVenne

MGVenne Bobtail Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Adrian, MI
    Cool! How did you go about getting this gov't loan? Did Willis set this up for you?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.