A.P.U?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TruckingSulzi_USA, Dec 30, 2007.

1. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    It was done through Lane County in Oregon with EPA money. I've heard they have discontinued it but also have heard someone else has taken it over. I'll check and see what I can find out. Under the plan you could have any APU you wanted.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Native Dancer

Native Dancer Heavy Load Member

Dec 28, 2007
    Portland, Or.
    Do a google search under Cascade Sierra Solutions. They are a non-profit group. There are contact addresses and phone numbers there. There are also links to grants and tax incentitives there. They seem to have taken over fron LRAPPA, the orginization I got mine through.

4. lastofseven73

lastofseven73 Bobtail Member

Jan 6, 2008
    Bloomington,IN.
    I run a thermo king tri pak and I have no complaints.I won't trade it for any of the others.It cost me 4500 used but was worth it.

5. Thronapple

Thronapple Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Lake, MI
    Can anyone tell me why o/o's don't just buy a generator for about 3 or 4 hundred and a cube heater for $35 and a $150 airconditioner and use that?
    You could use the plug in to heat your block, the 12V post to charge your batteries, the only thing you couldn't do is heat your fuel.

Oh, I know...how to install the airconditioner???

How bout a window board like they use at the trk stp's with the window tubes. Can't remember the name.

Seem's to me that with a little ingenuity you could have replaceable units for about $500.

:biggrin_25511:

6. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007

Most of those units are gas powered. Where would they store the gas or purchase it.

7. Steve & Lo

Steve & Lo Medium Load Member

May 22, 2007
    Tennessee
    All right....you are gonna get a GAS powered, LOUD Briggs & Stratton generator from Lowe's ...... where you gonna mount it..... On the cat walk?? Nope, it'll get crushed....knocked off....or simply vibrate off eventually because it wasn't designed to handle the kind of movement it will be subjected to. Running extension cords into your truck..... And hanging a 110 A/C that won't keep the truck cool out the window.....LOL I wonder what your house looks like? You can't carry any quantity of Gasoline in the cab....and I sure wouldn't want to carry any in a sidebox....bouncing all over...getting hot....fumes.....BOOM!

8. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    Boy, I had a dumb moment.

I was even thinking. If my load locks sometimes got bent on the catwalk, I guess the generator would then.

9. Thronapple

Thronapple Bobtail Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Lake, MI
    OK...So you spend an extra 500 and get a diesel...So think a little. How would you secure a generator? Maybe in a frame box? Who says you have to even keep it in the box? I've seen some guys put it at the rear of the truck and lock it with a cable lock. You say a 5k or 6k unit won't keep your 60 or 72 inch sleeper cool? But yet it takes care of a 8' x 10' room without any problum???

Oh and if your concerned about the loud noise. Try to run one of the normal APU's in a state park camp ground. Onan is the only one approved by all the state parks and it's a gas unit. Cost is about 1500.00 though.
    t.

10. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    I had a pete with a 96 inch custom sleeper on it. It came with a honda generator housed in a box hung on the frame behind the fuel tanks. It worked great but didn't last too long and it was expensive. The honda's are nice and allot quieter than the briggs units. I have sen the briggs units mounted to the frame rail just in the factory cage they come in. looks bad but probably works allot better than enclosing it like mine was. Mabey just a flat piece of shiny over the outer side would look good enough. Then you can run a roof mount heat and ac unit like the rv's use. they are kinda high maintenance but probably still cheaper than an APU

11. Gazoo

Gazoo Resident Mental Patient

Apr 14, 2007
    Bedrock
    I have tried to come up with an affordable APU alternative...but another thing to consider is that these Generators, both diesel and gas, don't get the kind of fuel mileage a true APU gets since they run at 3,000 rpms. Not worth it.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.