A question?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moose1958, Jan 1, 2016.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    I'd rather see one every now and again like the the one that trained you compared to a hundred trainers with no exp.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DC843

DC843 Medium Load Member

Jul 4, 2015
    yeah no doubt trainers with less than at least a year preferably more than that shouldn't be training.

the problem is the influx new drivers to companies that train, they don't want to pay more to get more qualified trainers in the trucks but they need more than they currently have to account for all the noobs, so instead they just lower the bar of qualifications and being able to make signifgantly so now you can be a trainer with 3-6 months exp, bam they have enough trainers now and didnt have to raise the pay. training of course paying more a lot of drivers with that exp level are going to give a shot.

finbyrd and pattyj Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Since FMCSA doesn't care about the obvious with safety wish insurance companies required a year with the company to train.of course more would be better but I'd settle on a yr,

finbyrd and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  5. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    I agree. 4 seasons driving should be the absolute minimum. A driver who started in the summer shouldn't be training drivers in the winter when they themselves have never driven a semi in the snow.

6. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    If a driver with 3 months driving experience can show me how to scale, handle shippers /, and so on I'm sure at that level I could learn it on my own and come out better. You could figure the job out and then get it verified by someone that's really sharp and it would equal if not better than getting trained by someone that hasn't had the time himself. I would expect the company to teach my defensive driving and handling the truck as well as the paperwork and such. If not you're getting hurt and should go to another company fast.

I can see where this type of training is going on now because they are the trucking companies that fire the driver for the smallest of things and go to another. They don't train properly so there's a few that don't make it. It's no fault of the driver but he or she gets the shaft. The smart other companies will not hire those drivers that got fired because they know how much training they have received. They do not want to take on someone headaches.

It sad because sooner or later this way is going to crash and the industry will be in shambles. The only way it can be saved is for the old timers to pass down their experience to the younger and the younger be receptive. The companies or I should say the Mega carriers do not care about the drivers training. Look what just happened to the driver in New Jersey driving for Wal-Mart. He's been charge with crimes that can put him away for along time and Wal-Mart settled with the others with money that made them happy. It's truly sad.

hunted Thanks this.
  7. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Ain't that the truth though.have you ever seen a trainer teaching a trainee how to back?it's like watching a live version of laurel and hardy.it kills the boredom that's for sure,lol

8. Bob Dobalina

Bob Dobalina Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2015
    The "Buckeye"
    Yep. It's best with circus music playing in the background.

pattyj Thanks this.
  9. hunted

hunted Medium Load Member

Yes see this is the problem these young people who are fresh out of school are getting with these poor trainers. With all the experience this trainer has he had no intention of training at all. Just there for the pay and could care less. A 3 month driver is just as bad as this 13 yr vet bottom line they aren't learning anything. When I started out in 97 I was fortunate enough to have the best teacher a student could have he took pride in what he did. He was tough and firm but he was patient and a people person. Even when you thought you were ready he would tell you that you are not and we need to work on your weak points. The industry needs trainers like he was

finbyrd, DC843 and pattyj Thank this.
  10. crxdc

crxdc Road Train Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Las vegas NV
    How many of the old timers are out helping others? When i was out on my own for the first year I had other new drivers try to help but all I ever had from a old timer was constant berating on the CB. When the old timers get off their high horse and help other we will again see better times out here.

finbyrd and gentleroger Thank this.
  11. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You see it everyday in the gasoline business.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.