A question?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Moose1958, Jan 1, 2016.

1. Space Boogie

Space Boogie Light Load Member

Nov 2, 2015
    Everyone thinks this is a hard job. It's not. You can teach just about anyone to do this work good enough in about two weeks.

Just my opinion sure it's not going to be a popular one; but six months is fine for a trainer IMO.

Think about it. What's a trainer doing. He's teaching the companies processes. That's it. How to fill out paperwork. How they like to operate and that's it. What is you guys think trainers need so much experience to teach? Surely it isn't driving because I don't know how they'd go about that. The only way a student learns to drive is by doing it themselves.

There's a reason this job pays so poorly. Because anyone who can read and write at a third grade level can do it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Maybe but we would also see better times with a better training program as well.A driver with only a few short months driving trk is a newbie and should not train.they do not know anymore then the person they're training
    Except like the paperwork fueling that sort of thing but not much with driving and safety.I bet most doesn't even know how to read a map and trip plan so therfore trainees don't know how.

4. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    You're right. Only a couple of weeks and any idiot can drive with what it takes. After all it's only getting from point A to point B. I don't understand why so many people think it takes more. I'd love to have you as a partner so I could relax in the sleeper and making the cheap money. I'm only going back in for a little spending money cause if I had to depend on the pay I would starve. You and I both know why this job pays so little and it should be listed as untrained jobs so maybe we could try somewhere else and make a living. All that is BS.

Space Boogie how long have you been driving? Where did you go to find the real story? You must have vast amount of exposure to trucks to see the truth. I would like to see your talents so I'd know to stay clear. The big companies love your type because in a couple of months they will can you and replace you. They'll fire you for something stupid and grab another driver from school and replace you. It can all happen within a day. I can tell right now you have no chance of making it pass a year and then hopefully you'll be back here lying to us on how you've found a dream job.

You're the type that ends up in court facing a judge because you have no sense on how this job is done. You believe you know all there is to know and anything else is a waste of time. They you'll have a Hazmat load the terminal is closed and you have no placards. You'll fell it's their job to provide the correct papers and if they did not you'll just go ahead and take the load and inform your drop off point that the shipper has a problem giving drivers all the papers that is required. Just a little test for the driver that knows it all. Where would you go to find the regulation on who's to provide placards, and all the information needed to move the load? I'll even make it simpler. Why do we use placards?

Tell me why do you think a driver with 20 years safe driving does not want to waste his time training you? You see you are a majority of the problem. You fell this is a medial job and after the paperwork there's nothing more to learn. I wouldn't teach you either. I would walk right off the truck and inform safety they have a problem. If all this is truly what you believe then you need to find another job and stay clear of trucks. And also know that, if you're not jerky us around, you're a liability to everyone in the industry. Just do yourself a good deed and watch what happens to the Wal-Mart driver that hit Tracy Morgan. It's drivers like you that end up where this driver is.

finbyrd and passingthru69 Thank this.
  5. Space Boogie

Nov 2, 2015
    Dude I've spent the last 8 years driving flatbed. It's an easy job. I've never had a ticket (in my life) and I've been driving something or another since I was sixteen. Here this ought to blow your mind; while I'm running against the grain here I see no problem with a guy smoking a joint on the weekend. I also think if you want to make a couple hundred extra dollars a week then it's worth the maybe the hour a week extra paper work required to run a lease truck till you're prepared to by something. Finally I think about a week of school and maybe two weeks running over the road with a trainer is about what's needed to put a guy out here. Double that if they're just complete ######### but ######### will do just fine too because this ain't rocket science. That's why there's no such thing as a super trucker because there's nothing super about it. It's just about the easiest blue collar job out there. look around you man. Next time you're at the J and see that 600# dude who hasn't bathed in two weeks; that guy is doing your job.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  6. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    How many TransAm or Watkins-Shepard trucks do we see in the ditch. I know it happens, but I've never seen one.
    TransAm is 12 days with a trainer and Watkins-Shepard is 10 days.

7. GasHauler

GasHauler Master FMCSA Interpreter

Oct 23, 2005
    Vegas/Jersey
    None of this impresses me and I will look at you as a problem and not an asset. You're a danger to you and others with the lack of knowledge and skills. I know you have a ton of bad habits and I will always think you need to come off the road. That's how I feel enough said.

8. Space Boogie

Nov 2, 2015
    Alright I suck and you're the best trucker ever.

9. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    If you had your way you would just give them the keys and say there ya go.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  10. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    When everything is going OK trucking is easy. By easy I mean it don't take a lot of brain power to accomplish getting a load from point A to point B. I have always felt that the main difference between a steering wheel holder and a Truck Driver was a Truck Driver knows how to safely extricate themselves from a bad situation or how to not get in that situation to start with. These skills are not something you learn overnight and you don't get them in 4 or 6 months either. Don't get me wrong, I have seen drivers with 10, 15 or more years experience screw up and do dumb things. As I write this post I am in north Georgia visiting with some family. I was in the cemetery yesterday where my father and several other Truckers from another era are buried. As I stood there thinking about the past and how these guys went about the job I could not help but shake my head as I thought about the words to a George Jones song. (who's gonna fill their shoes?)

11. antoinefinch

antoinefinch Light Load Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Phenix City, Alabama
    Swift is 200 hrs about 3_-4 weeks

Chinatown Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.