A&R logistics

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by stumped, Feb 9, 2014.

1. stumped

stumped Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Somewhat new with A&R so lets just start with first impressions.
    First would be what the company offers, they say $65,000 a year and home a couple nights a week and home every weekend for regional runs.
    Or you can run the system and be out all week and still home weekends and make 70,000 or more.
    So when you actually talk to your manager at whatever terminal you go to they start right off by changing that to you'll be home weekends if you run regional and to most drivers that is ok after all your thinking about 65,000 a year, so all is well.
    Now for the skippy on what you end up with,
    You will by at the bottom of the food chain with A&R you get the junk trailers that leak air and all the crap freight to hall,
    Meaning if they have a company that wants you to blow off at 5 pounds and its a 150 yard push you'll be there a while.
    Some issues with this company could be as simple as the people you work with like my terminal is full of racism I have never heard the N bombs dropped more at any company, or such nasty hateful language about blacks.
    So at this point I don't even like the class of people.
    You will get very short runs and may start Monday and end Saturday and only have just over 1200 miles to show for it because of your scheduled pick up and delivery times.
    So lets just take this one subject and one week at a time, and see what A&R has to offer.
    So far the company is a joke and not much left of the company once ran by a man who actually cared about his drivers,

10speed55 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. losttrucker

losttrucker Road Train Member

Mar 9, 2008
    greenville,nc
    RUN!! If they will say that about an entire ethnic race, think how they will feel and talk about an individual who may cross them wrong. Also, if they will say these things with you (someone relatively new) around, then imagine what is said behind closed doors.

4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    An ex-neighbor of mine works there and makes $72K every year. As far as other employees making derogatory comments about people; they don't sign your paychecks. I've had customers and others make racist remarks about me because I'm white, but I couldn't care less. I know I'm putting money in the bank and other investments and someday I'll walk away to live the good life and they will still be in their miserable rut complaining. In fact, I already did it.

yankatank, RockinChair, Lucar and 2 others Thank this.
  5. stumped

stumped Bobtail Member

Feb 8, 2014
    Hey Chinatown thanks for the reply but your neighbor has probably been with A&R for some time and falls under the old pay scale, and he probably gets a particular customer and trailer every day.
    What I am looking at is trailers that leak air like a sift and ever customer the other drivers dont like going to, coupled with a lower pay scale and not what I was told.
    And I will say if thats your wife in the picture she is a beautiful woman and your very lucky.
    As for myself I am also white and I not only date intteracially but I have daughters that are mixed, and this morning at work I asked another employee how he was doing and he said good, he just made a bunch of money off the black women up the street because they like to pay to give white men sexual favors.
    That type of crud is crude and simple and has no place in any company.
    What he said was a insult to every black woman and I took it as an insult to my girl.
    I won't work for A&R after I get back home.

6. TattooPig

TattooPig Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2015
    Got an interview tomorrow with the company. I'm looking forward to learning more about the company and making a decision about signing on. If I do I'll keep all informed about my experiences.

DieselBoss206 Thanks this.
  7. Rollin' On

Rollin' On Light Load Member

Jun 23, 2013
    Texas
    I worked for A & R as a system driver (otr). It's not bad if you get mostly loaded miles. I have heard several drivers complain that they were getting more empty miles than loaded for weeks ,and months in a row. Those drivers were on the verge of quitting, so they said. The rates for empty miles is only .30 cpm and .48 cpm for loaded. Big difference between the two, and it can make or break a paycheck real quick. If your hauling empty trailers 3 plus days a week then you will go broke fast. I have only had more empty miles than loaded a couple of weeks when I worked there, and they weren't consecutive.
    They also have load pay and unload pay. Fuel bonuses are hard to achieve unless you live up north. Hard to get a fuel bonus if you run the truck so you have a/c while you sleep. You also get a bonus if you fuel where they tell you to, but I never saw that one either. They would sometimes send me way out of route to fuel and it made no sense at all. Sometimes 50 miles out of route. I would just fuel at the truck stop chains they wanted me to, but not always the exact location. It took way too long to get a new fuel solution from dispatch, mainly because the qualcomm was slow.
    The corporate office has this caring attitude directly towards the drivers, but some of the terminal managers are less desirable than others. They have their issues, but considering how many companies I have worked for over the past 25 years, A & R isn't the worst. In my time I have learned to get what your there for, cover your own behind, and don't associate with others too much. That seems to be the world we live in these days.
    I had to leave for personal reasons. I have those issues worked out, and I'm trying to get back on with A & R now. I'm eligible for rehire, but awaiting an opening.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  8. Cutty1107

Cutty1107 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    I worked at A&R outta Columbus lasted bout 6 months! The people where great & I was home alot but no money to be made! Tried to get OTR but so much local, i did get a handful of long runs thats it. When terminal manager asked why I was leaving I told him look at my checks, he did and couldn't say anything else to me! Called me a few times wanting me to come back but I declined! I was trying to save up for my wedding & it put me back so had no choice but to leave.

TruckrWnnaB Thanks this.
  9. Jbond

Jbond Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2015
    How bad was the pay ? avg.

10. Cutty1107

Cutty1107 Light Load Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Columbus, Ohio
    Let's see I got 2 checks over $800.00 while there... the rest was $500-$600...! Not enough for that type of work your doing there let alone how much experience I got. Could be different now idk, but I was there from Sept of 2012 to March of 2013... I caught on & learned how to do this tank work too so that didn't hinder me at all & driving was easy... if I'm not making money, I'm gone...

11. bigfrank1967

bigfrank1967 Bobtail Member

Mar 7, 2013
    pottstown,pa
    If your trailer leaks you fix it. That's what duct tape is for. I've been at A&R for almost two years now. I'm home nightly and week ends. I average 55 hours a week and made 75k last year doing local. I guess it depends on the terminal. The trucks are old and beat on but you get paid for delays. $22 per hour after 2 so you are making money. As for trailers leaking you can fix that yourself if you take the time.

dibstr Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.