A Reasonable Amount Of time?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by cantornikolaos, Jul 8, 2017.

1. cantornikolaos

cantornikolaos Light Load Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I am not an OO, but I work for a small company and have a lot more contact with brokers than I would prefer.

I know the law requires drivers to be given a reasonable time to make delivery, but does that apply to the brokers, as well as the dispatchers? I am having the great misfortune of dealing with TQL, and I hope they burn in hell. On Wednesday night, I was put under a load going more than 800 miles, that had to be delivered on Friday morning. I was almost out of hours on Wednesday night. The appointment time was not on the BOL or load sheet. It said "TBD". Yesterday morning, when I was finishing-up a 10 hour break, I got a call telling me that the load was due then. They asked where I was and how long it would take. When I said 7 hours, they lost it and couldn't believe me. I told the little biatsch to look at a map.

Yesterday, about 2 hours before I arrived, I got another call from TQL saying I was going to have to waste the weekend here because I'm late and the consignee was closing for the weekend. If it was my truck, I would tell that SOB that I'm selling 29k pounds of scrap metal to a recycler if they don't agree pay me in-full and take delivery, when I arrive, but it's not my truck.

Anyway, with money and jobs on the line, I want to know to what extent the law applies to brokers. Occasionally, I hear tales about a sleazy company being forced to pay somewhere in the ballpark of $100k to a driver for firing him when he refused to break the law. What did that driver do and how did he do it? Can I do the same with a broker, or at least make their life more interesting when they do this crap to me?

I made it very clear on Wednesday that I only had time to pick-up the load and park for the night. They didn't communicate the appointment time clearly until the time it was due. Even if they did give me the appointment time, it wouldn't make a difference. I would have had to be just going on-duty for the day in order to have a shot at making that delivery on-time. Really, that load should have been brokered BEFORE Wednesday night! I suspect they were hush-hush about that because they knew I couldn't deliver it in-time. Possible effort to defraud carriers?

If I can't work without getting splinters in my ___, I want to make these slime bags pay my student loans.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Gunner75

Gunner75 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Tell your company dispatch to stop giving out your ####ing number, or get a burner phone and give them that number. Your dispatcher should be handling all correspondence between you and the broker

4. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    The dispatcher who books the load needs to know how many hours does driver have, so load can be delivered on time. Brokers don't have anything to do with it

clausland and Lonesome Thank this.
  5. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    I record every phone call I get. There's an app for that.

Jmans and Gunner75 Thank this.
  6. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    Yes, yes there is I use automatic call recorder

7. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
    Even the calls with your family you record?

Just passing by Thanks this.
  8. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    You can choose which numbers to keep recording. I only record work related numbers.

CrappieJunkie Thanks this.
  9. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    I figured. I was just giving you a hard time.

Just passing by Thanks this.
  10. Gunner75

Mar 17, 2014
    Jackson Center Ohio
    I record my calls with my wife, this way she can't claim I didn't tell her something when I know I did

Grubby and CrappieJunkie Thank this.
  11. CrappieJunkie

Mar 9, 2014
    Never thought of that. That is a great idea.

Gunner75 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.