AA while on the road????

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by MarineNewRookie, Jul 18, 2010.

1. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    In May,I spent two weeks in a truck training with PTL,and did not like the over the road trucker experience.Felt like the Qualcom had the control.(Control issues my sponsor is aware of).I decided to give it up,and hit the road with the Carnival again.Now I drive a few loads a week,and help the mechanic on the side.I still get to travel,and drive,plus learning a lot about trucks.So far there has been a meeting in every town.
    A sober carnie,who'd-a-thunk it?

pattyj Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. trashy_is_my_handle

trashy_is_my_handle Bobtail Member

Jul 17, 2010
    Racine wi
    I just wanted to throw an update into the thread: I have a new cell number--262-977-3943. I'm usually up until midnight (central time) and do answer my phone. I've accumulated a little over 5.5 yrs of one day at a time. I darn sure didn't do that alone. I'm a firm believer in you have to live it to give it, and that you have to give it to keep it.

With AA love and compassion, and even though I'm not floatin gears on the bigroad anymore, my trucking brothers and sisters are my heart.

Be safe!

Jim

O.Henry and mickeyrat Thank this.
  4. wrongwaytommy

wrongwaytommy Light Load Member

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    update
    still sober and still trucking
    anyone ever need to chat out there,call me if you wish
    704-719-6876
    pass it on!

O.Henry Thanks this.
  5. wrongwaytommy

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    update
    still sober and trucking
    704-719-6876 call or text before you take a drink

WyoBigFish and austinmike Thank this.
  6. WyoBigFish

WyoBigFish Bobtail Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Just curious how many of you in AA are still active on this board? I'm really new to the trucking industry, and would like to network or possibly meet up down the road if possible. My sobriety date is 10/2/10.

O.Henry and wrongwaytommy Thank this.
  7. wrongwaytommy

Feb 26, 2010
    nc
    I lost touch with this board but i come by when i can,usually 3 or 4 times a week now

8. I.died.and.came.here

I.died.and.came.here Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2019
    I created an account just so I could post here. I'm new to trucking, and I'm newly back to the sobriety thing. My first instinct when I knew I needed to change was to just Google "trucking friends of bill w" it brought me here. It seems as this thread has gained and lost traction over the years, but I'm grateful for some ideas it gave me reading through it. Thank you sincerely for asking this and for all those who have had input. It's always nice to know you're not alone. I'll take a few of these suggestions, mostly because I'm all out of better ideas. I'm going to lay my head down sober tonight thanks to this thread.

-J

9. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Like they say...one day at a time. LOL...sometimes you do it five minutes at a time. But you do it.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ive been there. It really is worse than anything else. But when the morning shows up in it's possibilities it will get better.

The most important I think where possible is to be with family or friends who will not create a situation where you need to drink. That eliminated some people in my life but they are not real friends when alcohol is around.

I would say it's been round 25 years now since those days and once in a great while on really bad days I could use a drink. But I don't dare, I use substitutes instead. (In this case steak and fries and so on.)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.