aagh what have I done ??!!

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by razor1983, Mar 5, 2014.

1. S M D

S M D Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2012
    sacramento ca
    If you shifted with the jakes on. I'm willing to bet that it didn't go all the way into gear and even tho it had pull it skipped and jumped and made a loud bang. That's what it sounds like to me. I've done it once and now I try to never shift with the jakes on lol.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. razor1983

razor1983 Medium Load Member

Jan 17, 2011
    No I didnt have the jakes on (I have the pedal actuated jake). It jerked because I threw it into 5od sooner than should've. Im praying the noise was from the kingpin smacking against the locking pin, which happens after greasing the wheel and driving empty, the trailer is sliding back and forth on the fifth wheel.
    I really wont know till I can get to work on it in a couple days. Thank you all for the suggestions and the good luck wishes!

4. wonderdog24

wonderdog24 Medium Load Member

Mar 1, 2012
    Puyallup,Wa
    Trailer shouldn't be sliding on the fifth wheel...Empty trailer on not.... Might want to adjust Fifth wheel or replace it....

5. JohnP3

JohnP3 Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Rock Creek B.C. Canada
    First thing I would do is check the engine oil and coolant levels, then turn the motor 720 degrees to be sure it is not an internal problem, then do the tranny and diffs, You should have a spare 3/4 NPT magnetic plug, if you do you own servicing, and do regular plug swaps, keeping them clean and as diagnostics.
    Just a thought!

6. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    What do you mean by "turn the motor 720 degrees"?
    As I mentioned I will change out all the oil, in the engine (12k on it now) and the transmission and differentials (165k on those)
    As for my trailer sliding on the fifth wheel, I have been looking into it for a while now. I've heard stories of truckers going to a shop to get it adjusted and loosing the trailer on the road a short while after. The wheel itself is not really worn down so I dont see the need to replace it, I am looking into one of those Holland fifth wheel repair kits

7. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Turn the motor by hand via the flywheel or ring gear two full revolutions (360 degrees x 2 = 720 degrees). This way it will go through all possible combinations of moving part positions and you should detect if anything is out of position. If nothing fowls or locks up it is a good indication is nothing is out of place in the motor.If it locks up then you have an issue in the motor.I don't think it is this as you did not mention any issues with the motor running funny after the incident. I tend to think it is probably a gear that was not engaged properly in your gearbox that then jumped a few teeth upon input torque. You may have got away with no evident damage.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  8. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    if you drove it on home apparently it wasn't catastrophic, but how in the heck can ya wait 2 days to find out if something is wrong??

Rock hauler Thanks this.
  9. razor1983

Jan 17, 2011
    Yes I drove it around the block after, it went thru all the gears without a problem, no strange noises. And trust me I am anxious to get to work on the truck but I had to get two cars up and running proper. One is my mothers Crown Vic on which I had to replace the egr valve, solenoids and the vacuum tubing. Other is my Chevy Blazzer needed to replace the ignition switch and housing which was a pita.

10. Rock hauler

Rock hauler Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Deridder La.
    you most likely didn't have it in gear all the way when they jump out under a load it sounds pretty bad its most likely ok

11. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    its simple to figure out if it jumped out of gear. when you continued on did you have to put it back in gear? if so , you were just hifting like a Wildman , didn't have in gear and it popped out, sounds bad when it happens

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.