AAOO va OOIDA

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Feb 21, 2019.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I was looking through the web getting ready to join ooida, and I saw this other Association.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of them or if they have used them and how they would actually compare to ooida.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dale thompson

Dale thompson Road Train Member

Nov 20, 2013
    commerce twp,mi
    ? Alcoholic Anonymous has a truck association, I bet their insurance discount sucks.

Lpirtle and Farmerbob1 Thank this.
  4. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    They apparently use Guardian Insurance wholesalers for insurance. They're similar to ooida in that they can help you with your Authority, they give fuel discounts, they have health insurance etc etc.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Farmerbob1, NoBigHurry and Dino soar Thank this.
  6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017

So are you saying that ooida is more for members that are looking for a political group to represent them, and the other organization is more about member discounts?

I want to join one of the associations soon. I know that oooda has all of the business tools and has the help to get set up with the up-to-date safety information and getting your Authority etcetera etcetera.

But has anybody used aaoa for their business services? I know that ooida has a good reputation for helping you with any problems or questions with compliance and they have the correct business tools, but I'm not sure about the other organization. Aaoa seems like they have better discounts.

7. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Well, OOIDA keeps wasting members money with stuff like fighting ELD's instead of fighting for senseable HOS...

As for which one is better for member discounts and help, well that's an individual choice based on each companies needs. No way to know until they are compared to what the specific O/O needs. Just due to sheer size I would expect OOIDA to have better programs, but maybe the smaller AAOO has less bureaucracy meaning better service. It's something each O/O likely should look at anyway.

NoBigHurry, Tb0n3, brian991219 and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    I guess I was more trying to figure if they were a fly-by-night company or something like that. And which would give me more business tools.

The insurance that they offer for Trucking also seems better than ooida. I'll have to look further into it.

Farmerbob1 and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I used Ooida and had their ins for a while. They were very helpful, however ins was higher than most. Also not an actual ins co. But a risk retention group, or something like that. I always had a list of Carriers that wouldn’t book loads because I had their ins. Due to all the lawsuits they’ve filed against these companies. Also when I did have a claim, it becomes a conflict of interests IMO. Hard to fight against a group you belong to that’s supposed to represent your best interest. I like Ooida, but their ins isn’t very good.

NoBigHurry, Dino soar and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    Why not join both?

11. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    AAOO sounds a lot like NAIT [National association of independent truckers]

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.