Abandoned load?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by oghenetejiri, Mar 28, 2018.

1. oghenetejiri

oghenetejiri Bobtail Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Hi,

My brother is an owner operator, he picked up a load from SC with 3 drops, 1 to MO and 2 to KS. However, on the 3rd drop the receiver rejected 2 pallets of peanuts and cleared the BOL clean and the driver notified the broker about the rejected pallets and advised to have the shipper decide what needs to be done with the pallets as he has another load to pick up in about 3 hours after the delivery. the broker couldn't come up with a place to send the rejected freight until about 7 hours later, not even to provide a place to send pallets but to say "he is still working on where to send the freight... long story short, since the driver didn't hear from the broker at the given time frame (8 hours), the driver decided to donate the peanuts to people in the neighborhood and truck stop and headed on to his next pickup.

so 24 hours later broker still don't have a place to send the pallets but wanting to know where the pallets were and still working on drop off site. When he called to check on the load broker was advised that pallets has been donated and broker threatened to file a claim on missing load and the driver said no, it's an abandoned load.
    so my question is, could the driver be liable for abandoned freight in this type of circumstance? he waited for up to 8 hours before he decided on donating the leftover freight.

Thanks.

Lite bug and TallJoe Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I'd say two pallets of peanuts can't cost that much maybe need to just pay for em and write em off instead of them going after freight insurance

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  4. My-Ke

My-Ke Light Load Member

When you say the receiver "cleared the BOL clean", what do you mean?
    If the receiver signed the POD and didn't state that there was OSD, then you didn't need to call the broker.
    Everything was good and you could have 'dumped' the product.

x1Heavy, Dave_in_AZ and Opus Thank this.
  5. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I’d say they are worth ‘peanuts’.

6. oghenetejiri

Mar 28, 2018
    Yes, I totally agreed..thank you.

7. oghenetejiri

Mar 28, 2018
    That's correct, but because we are relatively new in the business we weren't sure if it was okay to get rid of it hence we decided to call to make sure that the shipper wasn't going to be looking for those 2 pallets later on.

8. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    I would of said I accidentally left my back door opened and went 50 miles down the road before I noticed and now the pallets are gone. Must of fell off somewhere. Oops. Don’t admit to giving it away.

jon69, jbatmick and oghenetejiri Thank this.
  9. Rubber duck kw

Rubber duck kw Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2017
    I don't know how quick I'd say that I don't know how much that'd affect your cargo insurance

oghenetejiri Thanks this.
  10. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Next time call a food bank or church.
    Get a reciept for the donation.
    Personally I wouldn't of done anything with it until l I had confirmation as to what to do with it.
    You acted without an okay to do so .

Drea710 Thanks this.
  11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    You're exactly right. If he signed for it clear, he owns the product. What he choses to do with it after that point is his own business.
    Frankly, I'd be chapped that he made me find a home for 2 pallets of peanuts.

Brettj3876, Brickwall and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.