Abandoned load?

Discussion in 'Freight Broker Forum' started by oghenetejiri, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Run it by the zoo, and ask for the elephant / monkey keeper. It'll be off your truck before you know what happened.

I've never had to call more than 3 food banks / churches for the few things I had. Retirement homes will take them as well. Shelters.

And if all that failed, that stuff would be on the berm of nearest Love's.

x1Heavy and driverdriver Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. windsmith

windsmith Road Train Member

Sep 2, 2011
    NEPA
    Food banks also won't accept anything that's damaged and not completely sealed in its original packaging.

4. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Just cause you have a claim doesn't mean its set in stone either I have rejected claims and won. I once had a load of bottled water you know those water bottles that are so weak and cheap with that thin plastic. well they double stacked the pallets and with all the potholes in the road by the time I got to destination they were leaning a little honestly wasn't bad enough to be rejected but they did anyway. said they needed to be restacked. well I waited for broker to send me to a place nearby to do just that. by the time they found me a place it was too late they were closed. Finally they said just bring back to shipper 350 miles away. we negotiated a new rate and off I went. delivered the cargo which since nothing was restacked the cargo was in much worse condition then it was when I left. oh and to cover me I took lots of pics which very hard to see any damage from those pictures thats how minor it was. and even gave me clean bills. Thought that was that and moved on. 4 months later I get a call from the insurance company they filed a claim. they said they couldn't not sell product.I was like ok where is the product now? they said oh they donated it 2 months ago. I was like so let me get this straight your filing a claim but don't have the product after 4 months of delivery. there is no product or proof of damage. nothing was even noted on BOL oh and the best part the claim was for $7,000 the broker said there wasn't even 7k worth of product on whole truck. and were only talking about 2 or 3 pallets. its policy of insurance company to send adjuster to assess and put a value on the damaged product which cant be done without product. they couldn't sell it but can give it away like really? plus bol didn't list any damage. I said uh nope not accepting it insurance even said didn't look like they had much of a case. few weeks later insurance calls me back wanting to reach a settlement to at least pay part of it I still said no. needless to say they had to eat it that was Nestle btw. honestly it sounds to me like someone was trying to cover there own ### by sticking the blame on me. It may have worked had they not foolishly donated the proof away. never heard back again. however even though no money was paid it still showed up on my loss runs as a claim even though they had no case.

DSK333, Lite bug and moloko Thank this.
  5. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    How can it be on your loss run if there was nothing paid?

6. afterburn25

afterburn25 Medium Load Member

Jul 7, 2012
    Lafayette, LA
    Claims show up weather paid bnb or not though there not suppose to be held against u in it bv who knows there crooks too

7. DSK333

DSK333 Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2018
    Pennsyltucky
    That's unacceptable. If no money was paid there should be no LOSS.

olddog_newtricks Thanks this.
  8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    We do not
    "Cleared the BOL Clean."

If there is OSD (Over Short Damage) the trucking company is contacted, they have someone that handles OSD. If it is a REJECTED LOAD or REJECTED PRODUCT then the company decides what to do with it. Landfill or deliver to wholesale (I never buy wholesale food if i can help it) or simply dump it literaly.

Either way, the BOL gets signed with quantity delver, any OSD is noted on that BOL etc. Nothing is ever wiped clean.

When the Reciever signs the BOL then it goes to the trucking company for billing against the people who ordered up the truck and shipped (Bought) the cargo etc. minus the OSD losses which are handled differently.

Your current load is not done until it's done. It could be two days before a broker or company find a final deposition for your two rejected pallet or whatever. Until that trailer is empty and you are truly done and done, nothing matters in the future load planning etc.

By donating the peanuts to get rid of them and walk away from the broker who apparently now owns them, you abandoned the load. That could be a problem. The driver could be fired for cause and then his DAC destroyed with a load abandonment. And that will ensure that driver will not be hireable fora while. As in months and potentially years.

In trucking you are never finished with a load until the very last box is off that trailer as directed by those who own that product. It could be 15 minutes or two days or however long and short. You are still on that load.

Once in a while the company tells me that I now own 50 pounds of stick butter. That's a joy ful time. Instead of taking that stick butter home and choking on it, I'll trade it off to the shipper's crew for a exchange to get loaded and gone in 5 minutes instead of hours. That's worth the 70 dollar deduction against my paycheck for 50 pounds of stick butter.

Sometimes a entire load goes bad, rejected and there you are with a 18 wheeler on top of a landfill disposing of it. Thats fun.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.