ABF road driver position - Little Rock

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Thickshank, Jun 13, 2013.

1. ACH1130

ACH1130 Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2011
    Land of far far away,
    OD I had no clue about, and no we have these rejected Holland twin screws that Yellow took when holland didn't want them. They have 2 seats

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Thickshank

Thickshank Bobtail Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Well, looks like they have put a hold on hiring. Guess I'm SOL. Not sure for how long, but I fear it's for the rest of the year. I suppose I will be patient and wait until they start hiring next spring after business picks up.

I wonder if I would have better luck trying to get on as a casual-part time driver and then get hired on full time later when they get busier. Of course I would need to find another job that would allow me to be flexible to supplement my income. My current employer would not allow me to work for someone else.

Does YRC ever hire linehaulers out of little rock?

4. Cab Lizzard

Cab Lizzard Light Load Member

May 16, 2011
    MIA
    YRC looking for part time combo driver dock,city P&D..

5. Thickshank

Jun 13, 2013
    Today they called me to ask if I would have interest in working out of Carlisle, PA. I asked him if I was to hypothetically take the job, could I then transfer to Arkansas as soon as their is an opening. Surprisingly, he told me that it would be difficult to do and may require me to resign and then rehire. Basically, there is no advantage for me to get on in Arkansas by going through another terminal, I might as well just wait.

6. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    yep. They hire fresh out of driving school too.

7. Thickshank

Jun 13, 2013
    I got the job. Starting tomorrow. Woooooooooohoooooooooo!

We have about 175 drivers here in LR and their average age is 55. They are expecting a large chunk of them to retire over the next several years. They are bringing in about 25 drivers over the course of the next few weeks and I am the first one to come aboard. I got a head start because they approved me last year. It took a lot less time to approve me this year. Because I am the first of this bunch to get hired I will be ahead of the rest of the pack for seniority for as long as I am employed here, which is going to help out later on down the road.

Thanks to all of you who gave me some good insight and took interest in my hiring process in this thread. I'll keep you guys posted on how it's going.

KF7WTV Thanks this.
  8. Shaggy

Shaggy Road Train Member

Sep 21, 2006
    FIGMO
    Welcome brother, Will be feeding your terminal every night ( not me ) but my pick ups Outbound. Our shop steward goes to dayton and the other fella goes to carlisle. 2nd rodeo, your senior then I. Have fun and get the 90 days in. Won't regret

we have 28 currently, No doubt a few of those folks outta 175 will retire.Hard to get fired :yes2557:

Congratulations.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  9. KF7WTV

KF7WTV Medium Load Member

Aug 8, 2012
    RENO, NV
    Ohhhh, so that is what they mean by "Wages - Teamster Union Scale with over-the-road mileage rate." I was wondering how they could afford to pay hourly AND mileage... :biggrin_25526:

10. Thickshank

Jun 13, 2013
    2 weeks in and everything is as advertised. My only complaint is that I am so tired because of the round the clock schedule. But, as I get some seniority under me I will have more ability to keep my schedule closer to regular. All of the people here have been great. It seems it's impossible to meet a new coworker that doesn't want to be helpful.

Theyve hired 10 drivers this month with another 10 or so on the horizon. A friend of mine applied at a satellite terminal P+D position on Wednesday and got a call back the next day and was offered the job pending background check. It seems they are moving very quickly on jobs right now, so if anyone is thinking about it then now is the time to get your app in.

11. freightwipper

freightwipper Road Train Member

Mar 24, 2014
    OTR
    .61 CPM???

what the flock am I still doing OTR for then
    ####

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.