Abilene Experience

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by BigBrin, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Craig, I went through the same thing with my dad, it was tough, but with family and friends by your side you will come through this. I did, and you will. Be strong, your dad, yourself and your family are in my thoughts. You have my number if you want to call, God Bless you all.

BigBrin Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BigBrin

BigBrin Medium Load Member

Nov 1, 2013
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Thanks to all of you for your support and kind words regarding the passing of my Father. It was tough explaining it to my young daughter. Its been about a month since I have participated on this site. I took a week and a half off for the funeral and memorial svc. I still have my student but he has been out with oral surgery going on two weeks now so I am running solo until his return. Currently waiting to deliver refrig cases down here in Birmingham tonight. I left out yesterday and stopped for the day so I could watch the two title games yesterday. Go Broncos!

YardDart Thanks this.
  4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Welcome back buddy. Anything I can help with just let me know. God bless.

5. BigBrin

Nov 1, 2013
    Mechanicsville, VA
    Greetings to all. Just escaped from Atlanta. Spent yesterday from 5pm until an hour ago trapped on 285. I can honestly say i am grateful to be alive and unhurt. I amazed that they were so unprepared. People abandoned cars and walked away. It was so icy that every trailer braking slid trucks were sliding backwards down the first hill in Dekalb. I was supposed to deliver a hill load to San antonio this morning. Didnt happen and wont happen tomorrow either. I stayed behind the wheel forover 24 hrs and am exhausted. All of its refroze now and not letting Spencer drive on it. Told Tim we will leave at first light.

YardDart Thanks this.
  6. runningman0661

runningman0661 Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Clover, South Carolina
    Glad y'all made it through there in one piece. At least your trainee has a great story to tell years from now. Be safe!

YardDart Thanks this.
  7. BigBrin

Nov 1, 2013
    Mechanicsville, VA
    We made to San Antonio and went to deliver at our time to be turned away. They were pouring concrete. Went back 4 hrs later to see if they could fork the equipment off and no go. We were sent to usx irving to drop it so it could be delivered by someone else Tuesday. Hooked an empty reefer and headed to Clovis NM. Checked in with CH Robinson and they said 43500 load to Los Angeles. I said we were just under 37000 empty. CH said theyd adjust. Well the shipper said nope. We were supposed to grab it and swap with another team that had no hours left and then run to Gordonsville. Ended up swapping in Santa Rosa and giving them our empty to sit on.
    This team training is for the birds. Spencer is doing fine but through all these delivery issues I have had to be the one dealing with it with all parties involved when I should have been sleeping. Very tired and weary. Thanks to a late start on the week and all the weather and delays a whopping 2200 miles week as a team. Global warming my rear end!

YardDart, runningman0661 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  8. YardDart

YardDart Medium Load Member

Jul 25, 2011
    Mustang, ok
    That one of the biggest reason I couldn't be a trainer. You never get the rest you need. I have the upmost respect for those that have the nerves, patience and fortitude to be trainers.

JohnBoy and BigBrin Thank this.
  9. BigBrin

Nov 1, 2013
    Mechanicsville, VA
    The saga continues...my trainee had to get off the truck today to get another tooth pulled on Wednesday. So I will run solo for 2-3 days. Of course where do they send me but straight back into the fluffy stuff. Off to Queens around 9 or so tonight. Looks like I will get in there between two storms. I usually love winter but not this year. Will it ever end? The silly ambient temperature sensor on this truck refuses to cooperate. It always reads20 degrees higher than true. Shop cant replicate problem. Maybe they should sleep in it when its 10 degrees outside and it icuts off saying its 37. Great design putting that sensor in front of the radiator Volvo!

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  10. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Right now outside temp in Keasby, NJ is 32 but my dash reads 133...lol. Must be global warming.

11. UTurn1

UTurn1 Heavy Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Oh and that was with the engine being off for the past 8 hours

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.