? about training

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by .honeybadger., Oct 29, 2012.

1. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    I heard that after orientation and putting in your time on a trainer's truck that you are required to team with another new driver for 6 months before you can go solo? Is this true?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    That's how Stevens did it back in 2007. Not sure if they still do it that way now. Alot of companies used to do "dumb and dumber" training (as we more experienced truckerers call it), including Swift and US Xpress. Covenant still does it, but Covenant is predominantly a team outfit these days. From what I uderstand, Swift did away with "dumb and dumber", if that helps.

Stevens is a great training experience and a crap company. Stick a year and bolt for a real job.

4. .honeybadger.

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    Thanks for the feedback! My boyfriend is currently driving for TransAm and had balked at Stevens because he had heard that about their training and did not want to team with another rookie for 6 months. I'm trying to research my options available once I get my CDL and Stevens seems like a pretty good place to start and get that golden year in with. I just want to clear up whether the teaming thing was true or not. It's hard to find anyone who will hire recently graduated students in the Florida panhandle who are south of I-10. x____x

5. buzzarddriver

buzzarddriver Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    after OR2 you either go with a finish trainer for 3 weeks, or you team up with another from OR2 and team for 3 (THREE) weeks. after that you go solo.
    They do have a program where if two grads want to team, they can and run as a team., But is not a requirement.

.honeybadger. Thanks this.
  6. BigTruckChuck

BigTruckChuck Light Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Dallas

No, that's false

7. .honeybadger.

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    After OR2, do you get to choose between a finishing trainer or teaming or is it just luck of the draw and they decide for you? Thanks again, the clarification is very helpful!

8. stlvance

stlvance Medium Load Member

Dec 20, 2011
    st louis MO
    usually if theres an even number in the or2 group its trainee trainee. we only had one odd guy left that had a finishing trainer

9. flatbed cowboy

flatbed cowboy Bobtail Member

Jun 26, 2012
    As far as i know, covenant is the only company that does that still. i tried to stick out the 6 months of teaming but didnt make it. its hard to trust someone who just started driving with your life while your sleeping in the back.

nascarchuck and WideSkyND Thank this.
  10. seawolfe

seawolfe Bobtail Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Merritt Island Florida
    Just check out their website. I'm pretty sure its Eight weeks of over the road training. It starts after your 3 day orientation in Dallas. Then they send you out for five weeks to all 5regions of the us and canada. Then back to orientation pahse II for 2 days in Dallas, then back out for another three weeks for evaluation training. They pay you during this time but I can't remember how much. Either weekly or daily. Hope this helps. I am looking at going there for the CDL training which last three weeks and then hire on as a trainee. Not sure yet. Let me what happens on your end

11. .honeybadger.

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    I've been combing through their website because it's one of the companies at the top of my list but their training wasn't really laid out in black and white. The admissions secretary at the local school I'm attending submitted my application for Stevens this morning so I'm hoping to speak with a recruiter soon. At the very least, I need 3 prehires for my WIA grant, but I would actually like to sign on with Stevens.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.