? about training

Discussion in 'Stevens' started by .honeybadger., Oct 29, 2012.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    That depends on the company.I think Covenant does that.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. golfnut1103

golfnut1103 Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2012
    Hillsboro, OR
    Canada is not part of the training. All 5 regions, plus major mountains with and w/o the Jake. Pay is weekly - $325 or $350. I forget which.

4. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    You start orientation sunday morning. You complete orientation and skills evaluation after wednesday. If you qaulify, you are hired thursday and set up with a trainer. Some get out thursday, some friday, some saturday. Your time on the truck begins when you sign in on your trainer's truck. There is a minimum of 35 days with your O1 trainer. You must cover 4 regions of the country. The PNW currently is not required. You must log a minimum o 8500 miles in the driver's seat, traverse three mountain passes. One without the jake, two with. You must back in to a dock in the Northeast without trainer assistance.
    You must demonstrate minimum skills required for a new driver and be passed by your trainer.
    Then you return to Dallas for OR2 where you have 3 days of additional classroom and skills training. You must pass an evaluation drive test. Then you are either sent out with another trainee (Student to Student) or with a finish trainer. That is determined mostly by luck of the draw.
    You will spend 21 days out with OR2, then return to Dallas for one more eval drive test, grad fleet orientation (2 days), issued your truck and then sent out as a solo driver as a grad fleet driver. This phase lasts 3 months and a minimum of 35,000 miles.
    As an OR1 and OR2 driver, you are paid $350 per week. As a grad fleet driver, you are paid mileage starting at 0.26 per mile.
    Driving skills evals are pretty easy and the trainers will assist you in completing them. If you are found lacking skills at any point, you will be held an extra day or two where you practice with a trainer. It is very rare a driver does not get thru the training on time.
    Hope that answers all your questions.

sinker, .honeybadger. and pharrari Thank this.
  5. .honeybadger.

.honeybadger. Road Train Member

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    That was very thorough and informitive, thank you! And it certainly sounds like training with Stevens is a lot more thorough than the "training" at TransAm ((and a good thing too!))

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  6. Pdg444

Pdg444 Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Hey Honeybadger, Emulsified is a ton of help when it comes to Stevens. You wouldn't happen to be going to school out of Tampa would you. I am just finishing my first week at Roadmaster and plan on going to Stevens for the Novemaber 25th orientation.

7. .honeybadger.

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    Nope, not in Tampa. I'm up in the panhandle and hoping, actually PRAYING I'm within Stevens hiring area. My boyfriend got a prehire when he was in school but I want more than the prehire, I want to drive for Stevens, lol. I will be attending TDI in Milton, FL 11/19/12 so by the time I graduate, it will be closer to 12/10 or 12/17 before I could get to an orientation. Besides searching for prehires and loking at companies, I'm trying to dig up the ever-elusive local job so my boyfriend can at least use his CDL but be home to take care of the kids. I've jokingly been referring to trucking as my premature midlife crisis. I had a baby in September and am ready to GO. Whereas B wants to be home with the kids. I've wanted to drive a truck since I was 15!

TRKRSHONEY Thanks this.
  8. Pdg444

Pdg444 Bobtail Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Daytona Beach, Florida
    Well good luck to you on wherever you may land. I'm from the Daytona area and I know they are still hiring at least as far south as Tampa. We have a Stevens recruiter stopping by the class next week. Some of the other fleets have alot shorter training time as you mentioned but I'm looking more at where I want to be for a while after the training is over. Besides with me being a Florida cracker, I'd rather have a trainer with me for the start of winter than running solo across the ice and snow. SAFETY is number one!

9. .honeybadger.

Sep 30, 2012
    FL
    Hahahahaha. I hear ya on being a Florida driver. Tourist traffic is fun, but when it comes to real driving involving mountains, snow, and ice and other things you only hear about from this end of the map, I too want to be with someone who knows what the heck they're doing and can teach me properly. I learn best by doing so even though I have heard and read the do's and don't's of winter driving, it will ingrain best as I am able to do it. I got my prehire from Stevens today, start school on Monday if my school recruiter finalizes the prehire for May Trucking for me. ((I need three prehires for my WIA grant... already have one from Werner)) Talked to my Stevens recruiter today, Megan, and she said we will touch base while I'm in school, but she could have me in orientation as soon as 12/16 or 12/23 if I wanted to go before Christmas. I'm really looking forward to it!

10. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    FFE has two terminals in Florida.
    Check panther4me also.
    Both companies will hire you.

11. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient

The local stuff is on Craigslist and Careerbuilder.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.