About Triples

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by Car, Jul 21, 2010.

1. Car

Car Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2010
    LA
    What are the triples regulations?
    Do you just need the endorsement to jump in and drive these?
    Can anyone train you?
    Is there a training time line?
    Reading 2 years, how much experience?
    I am confused.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lilbit

Lilbit Road Train Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Let me check my logbook
    The endorsement is doubles/triples. No different regulations other than states that allow them and states that don't. You would be best learning from someone with experience, but I have never heard of a training timeline with them. Some companies that pull doubles or triples do have opportunities for those interested in pulling them. Doubles is what you will see the most of though.

I pulled doubles during my 6 week training time with the company I started with. Didn't mind them too much, but it was clean roads, good conditions. Don't think I'd want to go there during winter with crappy roads. Too much room for things to go wrong.

Car Thanks this.
  4. Car

Car Light Load Member

Feb 24, 2010
    LA
    Thank you for your reply.
    The reg book is hard to understand on this subject.
    The way I am reading it is that you don't just get your cdl and drive triples, not only do you have to have the endorsement, but you have to have training.

That is my question - Triples training certificate. Is this required?

5. Emulsified

Emulsified Road Train Member

May 6, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I pulled both doubles and triples many years ago (in the 70's). The company trained me on the job. Later after CDLs were introduced and I was grandfathered, I got my endorsements. Pulled again very short period. No one asked me for a certificate or anything. I've never heard of a school teaching doubles or triples, but then there's lot's of things I don't know.

Car Thanks this.
  6. jakebrake12

jakebrake12 Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    We run them in Ohio and Indiana out here and I don't know if it's company or state policy, but we need to have five years experience pulling doubles to pull triples.

Car and Lilbit Thank this.
  7. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Jake,

I do believe that would be company policy because your endorsement is for doubles/triples. You are already licensed for them legally. Company policy is a different matter. They can require anything they want before allowing you to pull their equipment. Here in the southeast we aren't allowed triples by law and in SC only a very limited amount of roads are legal for the doubles. We had one driver get a ticket for pulling doubles on a road here in town that was the official Conway route for 18 years. They had to change the route after he got that one. We are currently pulling a set on a regular basis to make pickups at a customer that is loading pups for us. The route that we are using is illegal. When I pointed this out to management and what the legal, longer route was, I was told we'd do it until we got caught and HAD to change it.

8. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    It could be but in regard to triples, it might be required by Ohio that you have 5 years worth of doubles to pull triples there - I never asked where the five years came from.

I've never run into that out here. Pa has some roads that restrict doubles but I was never in a situation where I had a set and needed to use the road. When I was in the city, I always had a 53'. I had to use a lot of 10 ton roads but you're legal on it so long as you're making a local pick up or delivery. Being that you're on a city run and not line-haul, there's really no set route you have to take. I had a pushy dispatcher when I was on P&D but he would never tell us we had to do something illegal. Even on line-haul out here, they have the routes but have never had any trouble if I wanted to take a different route. We have some alternate routes that are a lot longer but we can use them especially in the snow to avoid some hills.

9. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    Back in the 90's I worked for Apex in a mine in Trona, we used to pull quads off the salt lakes back into the processing plant, all off highway. But they looked like the never ending story in the mirror. The plant put a stop to the trip's and quads. I don't know why to my knowledge no one every had an accident with them.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  10. jakebrake12

Feb 15, 2008
    I95
    Probably should keep this to myself but we've hooked some stupid combinations in the yard just because we could..haha.. We found that once you get to a certain point building/keeping air becomes a problem as does the wrong person seeing you with a 53' on the back of three pups..lol..

I always wanted to hook like 15 pups together on a Saturday morning for the Monday morning crew to see but it's really not possible because of the air loss.. If it was possible we'd have done it and parked it in front of the office..lol.. Probably would have been fired too so thank God for air loss right..lol..

Elvenhome21 Thanks this.
  11. nikondvr

nikondvr Light Load Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Jake, you could hook them.... just not be able to move them. So just start hooking them where you intend to leave them. Now don't go and get fired for it.

jakebrake12 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.